carpediem

carpediem

Sunday 9 August 2015

Barcelona, part V - Basilica of the Sagrada Familia, part i



This entry is going to be mostly pictures because I have a slew of them, and I divided them up into ... three entries, I think. I have a veritable barrage of pictures on the Sagrada Familia, which was strictly speaking the highlight of the tourist spots I had for my Barcelonan round.

Sagrada Familia, which is still currently under construction, was designed by the famous Gothic architect Antoni Gaudí in the early 1880s, and is one of the famous "three" buildings that he built, the other two being the Casa Batllo and la Pedrera - Casa Mila. Incidentally, the Sagrada is also the largest, most famous and the only one that I actually paid to go into. The other two ones will come in later entries, but I didn't go into either of them - I just stood in front of them and took pictures of their exterior facades and called it a day. I don't regret that choice, since every single tourist spot in Barcelona was extraordinarily overpriced. I would have gone broke if I'd gone to each and every one of them.

Anyway, I had the foresight to buy my tickets for the Sagrada online. We're allowed to choose what time we want to enter because of people restrictions, and once I'd gotten there I saw their point. It was about 9:30 am when I arrived, and already there was a huge queue in front of the ticket booth. I squashed my way to the entrance and showed the guard my ticket which I'd printed out in Guy's Library back in London, and he nodded and waved me in. I can't describe how gleeful I felt when I sailed in, whilst all those poor people queuing mopped their red sweaty faces and looked at me in envy. It was sweltering - must have been 32 degrees at the very least.

First glimpse of the Sagrada, and you can see the construction cranes which are a real photo bomber.



Edged myself in - 10 o'clock and it was already filled with people. From this point on I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves.















No comments:

Post a Comment