carpediem

carpediem

Monday 3 October 2016

Stockholm, part II - Gamla Stan



1b asked me if I had any specific things I wanted to do, or places I wanted to see. I thought I'd see you, I said, but maybe also the Gamla Stan. Also I'm given to understand that there's some sort of ABBA museum around here. 1b spent the better half of the second morning trying to convince me (unsuccessfully) to go.

'What do you think of Stockholm?' he asked me, as we sat upon the shores of the Baltic Sea, our legs dangling over the water, watching the very picturesque port and the rays of the late noon sun glinting over the sea.

'It's very clean, very pristine,' I answered. 'I like it a lot more than I thought I would. You should have seen some of the frightful reviews tourists had given it. I had no idea what to expect though, since everyone has different opinions and experiences. One of my friends did an Erasmus here and she spent the first half of her year being depressed, and the second half of her year she got her act together, and now it's the best thing she ever did in her life and her favourite country in the world. And now I'm here I can see why. I suppose the only thing I don't like about Stockholm is that is is rather expensive. I'm going east in a few days, though, so I suppose I can afford to splurge a bit whilst I'm here.'

'It's strange being here,' he said. 'You know I've just returned from India, and I was in Romania last year, and in Latvia and the other Baltics in 2014. Mostly countries that are much less well off than the UK. It's odd being in a country that's much wealthier than us for a change; seeing all these prosperous looking, well dressed people. They dress much better over here.'

'I think Londoners are rather well dressed,' I said.



















No comments:

Post a Comment