carpediem

carpediem

Sunday 14 January 2018

Italy, part XI - Rome (i): mostly the Roman Forum and Capitoline Hill, along with glimpses of the Collosseum




All roads lead to Rome, the old saying goes; the Eternal City, the heart of the mighty Roman Empire of old, and the birthplace of Western civilisation. I was raised on high Roman history and in the tradition of Romans and their achievements, the battles they fought against their enemies and the monuments and temples they raised, and the gods they worshipped. In primary school we were all asked to design Roman shields, and I drew an owl and a spear. During presentation time, I explained that the owl was the patron animal of Athena, goddess of war and wisdom, two attributes which 7 year old me admired without abandon, and which I felt were most symbolic of ancient Rome. The spear of course of was straightforward; it represented battle, but also arms, arms that safeguarded a city or empire against her enemies, and kept the peace at bay.

Naples to Rome was a bit of a disaster - I travelled with Baltour, and the bus was almost an hour late, and I was obliged to wait at the bus station whilst it drizzled, with no shelter at all. It was extremely cold and wet and I was not amused. When the bus finally arrived my ticket didn't register on the bus driver's ticket reader, and I was this close from being thrown off the bus until the Naples station staff intervened on my behalf. All in all this was hands down the worst bussing experience I have ever had the misfortune to encounter.

The guy sitting next to me was a cute Ukrainian guy a couple of years younger than me, and currently studying in the air division of the Ukrainian military academy. His name was Maksym and he was a Leo. I seem to meet a lot of these.

In any case, the bus, which had been slated to arrive in Rome at 12, ended up arriving there at close to 2, and if not for Maksym's incredible hotness, I think I would have been really shirty. I found my way to Tiburtina metro station, which was the stop for the main bus terminal, and rode on the extremely stuffed metro to Termini, the main train station, where I'd booked my hostel. I found my hostel with relative ease, and strolled happily along the Viale Enrico de Nicola, enjoying the sun, and marvelling at the fact that I was in ROMA.

After I'd checked in at the hostel, and been hit on by the receptionist (which did not amuse me as he was not hot in the slightest), I went out, by which time it was already 3. I knew it was already late, but decided I might as well take advantage of the 1-odd hours of daylight that were still left. I walked back to Termini and took the metro to Collosseo, and when I walked out, this view smacked me right in the face and left me breathless.



To be continued..




Imperator

Museo Centrale del Risorgimento din Roma


A shop close to the Pantheon, which sold priest robes


The Roman Forum





































A sneak peek of Hadrian's Bridge, Ponte Sant'Angelo 

My very first view of Rome, on the way to my hostel outside Termini



No comments:

Post a Comment