carpediem

carpediem

Sunday 26 June 2016

Zhangjiajie, Part V



Once again, I've committed my usual gaffe of leaving it far too late, and as a result all those precious feelings and thoughts have been diluted anon and again. I'm still trying to salvage it, it's only been two weeks, but those memories will never be as bright as they were, that exhausted exhilarated afternoon I stepped off the aeroplane.

Lots of things have been happening with me and my life, some of which are probably slightly too personal to share here, but suffice it say that it's been a hectic week and a half during which questionable, but ultimately unregretted choices were made - because that's not the sort of person I am. One event of note which I will endeavor to mention here was the by now infamous EU referendum, which resolved itself in a very close vote to break away from the matrix of the European Union after 4 decades of oft-turbulent marriage. I have to say that I - and the rest of the world - am rather surprised by the results, but democracy at its finest is what I shall say about it. I have spent the better half of the afternoon reading both sides of the argument, and it's already reached the point of no return, so full speed ahead I say.

This is going to be a bit of a pictures entry. Another look at the vendors.



And some more spectacular rock formations and accompanying foliage:







This probably sounds slightly ridiculous, but the more I look back on this trip, the more I feel that the high point was the food. Oh, the food! I ADORED the food to bits, I was in seventh heaven. I do like Taiwanese food, of curse, but the food here was simply phenomenal, and I'm not lying when I say that the food, the spicy, piping hot, generously portioned food made much more of an impression on me than any of of the rearing karst formations, stalactites or stalagmites ever did.

We went back to the hostel, and went past a rather natty restaurant which said it sold Northeastern food. I said to Pris, well doesn't that look nice - I think I see dinner! She agreed, as she's much of a foodie as I am, and we sallied in, feeling very pleased with ourselves, and as ever proceeded to order far too much food for the two of us.






We proceeded to stagger back to the hostel, feeling incredibly stuffed, talking about horoscopes the entire way. It's official, I'm loca, and she probably is as well, but loca is as loca does.

One last look at the restaurant..




And back to our beloved hostel it is.






No comments:

Post a Comment