carpediem

carpediem

Sunday 3 July 2016

Lisbon, part II - Going to the Torre de Belem





I was quite relieved to leave Barcelona, partly because 5 days there was really far too long for me, but most of all because all my friends were gone, and to me nothing was left there but a city of ghosts. Cittagazze. I took the evening flight to Lisbon as I mentioned, found the hostel (you can read my review on tripadvisor here) and got in a good night's sleep as I was completely and utterly exhausted.

I got up, feeling fit as a fiddle, ate the hostel breakfast which was included in the room price (I always like it when they do that), and then marched out in high spirits. The weather was fantastic - I was lucky that I got picture perfect weather during my Lisbon part of the trip - and went off to catch the various connecting trams to the Torre de Belem, one of Lisbon's main landmarks.

This is going to be mostly a picture entry. Lisbon is not a large city, and operates mostly by trams, since it's built on seven hills, some of which include very steep slopes. Lisbon in May was already well into the twenties and it got exponentially hotter as the sun rose higher in the sky, and since I had a transport pass anyway I took full advantage of it and decided to let the trams take me where they would. In retrospect, a very good way to travel and see the city.

A view of the road outside my hostel, during daylight.




And the Miradouro right outside of my hostel.






The Gloria tram, also by daylight.




This entry won't contain the Torre or the Jeronimos Monastery, which is also in the same neighbourhood - it will be the journey there. I had to take a tram down to the sea coastline, and then take Tram 15 to the Torre and the Monastery. The tram was packed with people and it was really hot, but I still managed to get some lovely pictures in. 







And a sneak preview of the Jeronimos Monastery!


No comments:

Post a Comment