carpediem

carpediem

Saturday 27 August 2016

Lisbon, part III - Torre de Belem



Once again, I've been procrastinating and putting things off. Since I last posted, lots of things have been happening, not least of which is #continental5. Although I do wonder at the fallacy of calling it 'continental'; that would be too broad a definition. It's more along the lines of Baltic Boogaloo, or former Eastern Bloc. I'll be visiting Poland for the third time, though of course to different cities as you were; Poland's huge and I've covered all the main parts; I've been to the northern Baltic towns and cities, the Silesian region, the western region, and yet I've never been to either the old capital or the new. And of course, that being said, I will be going, this time at least.

This entry will mostly be a pictures entry. I aim to complete all of this before leaving for #continental5, which is tightening the deadline quite a bit. It never occurred to me that I still wouldn't have finished before my next Euro trip; either because I underestimated my efficiency in blogging, or because I didn't realise that I'd be going back quite so soon. Still, though - 2 years; it's been awhile. And there are loads of discounts that apply only to students and 'youths' under the age of 26; I make the age cut, only just.

The photos I took in Lisbon were probably among the best of this batch and actually all photos per se. Spectacular weather (read: swelteringly hot) and majestic Gothic buildings, paired with endless speedwell skies and sparkling turquoise seas are always a failsafe recipe.

Another excerpt from my itinerary. Frankly, it amazes me how diligent I was. I really winged it for #continental4 and I'm going to wing most of it for #continental5 too. I've become slightly lazier - I'm willing to pay a bit more for comfort and a well-located hostel now, and pick hostels close to bus stations or Old Towns, because I known how I like to travel. I like to visit the old city centres - Rathaus, they call them in Germany - and I walk around and take a few pictures and that's it.


(5/22)
2. Jeronimos Monastery (6 euros) (Tram 15) Allow 2 hours for transport
Walk to Corpo Santo then take tram 15 to the stop Mosteiro Jerónimos
3. Torre de Belem (apparently not really worth going up?) (5 euros) (Tram 15)

(Go back to the hostel for lunch?)

(Corpo Santo to Chiado is 9 mins on foot)


According to the internet, I was supposed to take the tram to the Jeronimos Monastery stop, which was an unbearably hot ride. The tram was absolutely packed with people, and it was incredibly uncomfortable. I was glad to get off, but this view, though.

The Jeronimos Monastery
 Tram tracks..






Walking from the tram stop to the Torre de Belem took a good 15 minutes of walking in the blistering sun.


But really, seeing the Belem made it worth the journey.


And it got better as I walked closer.






The Pacific, and across the biggest pool on Earth lies... the Americas.







I think this is what we call a 'ying-yang sea.'


I didn't go up because according to Internet reviews it was expensive and not worth it, so I just wandered around the Belem and took pictures. There was supposed to be a very famous eatery here too that sold 'Belem bisuits', but it was overflowing with tourists so I gave that a wide berth too.






Back to the tram stop.


No, I do not think youth has been wasted on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment