carpediem

carpediem

Saturday 27 August 2016

Lisbon, part IV - Jerónimos Monastery



I can say with all honesty that the Jerónimos Monastery was one of the most beautiful cathedrals I've ever been to in Europe.

It's also known as the Hieronymites Monastery, and I came here to visit the grave of Vasco da Gama, and also because it was an amazing work of Gothic architecture. Its location was superb, too - right beside the Pacific.

It was incredibly hot that day, so it was nice to escape into the tranquil of the monastery. And if one thinks about it, that's what religion is for, isn't it - a place to anchor your weary heart of body, a sanctuary.

Tickets didn't come cheap at 10 EUR, but I thought it was worth it.

This entry will be photos galore.

The outer facade of the Monastery

The grand Entrance







This was yet another of those ridiculously photogenic places where I went crazy with my camera and took hundreds of amazing photos. Unfortunately I can't put all of them here, but maybe I'll do another 'More Photos' blog entry because I do have heaps of them. At the very least, they would make nice desktop images.

















The tomb of the great explorer




And then one last glimpse of the beautiful Monastery before going back to the hostel. You can see that the sun's much lower in the sky now, and the skies are much darker.








No comments:

Post a Comment