carpediem

carpediem

Saturday 27 August 2016

Lisbon, part VI - Castelo de Sao Jorge



Castelo de Sao Jorge was on the cards today - well, I was only in Lisbon for about three days anyway.

The Castelo can trace its earliest roots back to 6th century BC, but as far as I can tell the main structure today was built by the Moors in the 10th century, and named after St George, the Sao Jorge who killed the dragon. There are some rather unusual legends surrounding the patron saint and the idea of the devil, but since this isn't a dissertation I'll leave the finer print to google and wikipedia. (The consensus is that no one does libraries and bookstores, let alone second hand book shoppes, any more.)

This is how I like Lisbon - its cobbled, sloping streets, pastel-coloured houses and blue skies.

Off to catch another tram

Another miradouro.


And the entrance to the Castelo.












They used these to shoot arrows.









A medieval well.


See how different the photo looks when the skies are cloudy?


The panorama from this particular miradouro is somewhat less impressive

This was a cat that followed me all around the Castelo. I think it rather liked me.




No comments:

Post a Comment