carpediem

carpediem

Saturday 18 February 2017

Helsinki, part II - Helsingin tuomiokirkko Suurkirkko



After I'd finished wandering around the Market Square, I decided to slowly make my way to the West Terminal, and stop to look at the few landmarks I'd noted to stop by. The first one I went to was arguably Helsinki's most distinctive landmark, Helsinki Cathedral, or Helsingin tuomiokirkko, Suurkirkko.

Like many other Baltic cities, Helsinki was very easy to navigate by foot. It was dry and chilly and there weren't very many people out and about. I think I've gotten used to the hustle and bustle of London, or Taipei, and it always comes as a bit of a surprise, albeit not unpleasant, when I encounter a capital city that's somewhat deserted.

I can't really say that I felt very strongly about Helsinki. It was a pleasant city to be in, especially for someone who enjoys walking in temperate climates such as myself, but it seemed a bit bland. Maybe I just haven't spent enough time there to judge, but unfortunately I don't think it will be too high on my list of 'cities to return to.'

More to come.












No comments:

Post a Comment