carpediem

carpediem

Saturday 18 February 2017

Helsinki, part III - Kamppi and Tyynenmerenkatu



I walked, VERY slowly, in the general direction of the West Terminal, getting lost a few times within the rather confusing labyrinthine concrete roads of Kamppi. It's hard to keep all your bearings sometimes when every street more or less looks the same, and leads into identical squares. It was lunchtime by then, so I found a gigantic supermarket in Kamppi, bought myself some extremely economical ham and cheese slices (YUM!) that amounted to about 3 euros. I found myself a bench in one of the identical squares, and munched through my ham and cheese. When I'd nearly finished, a couple came towards me, asking me for money. I told them I had none but they persisted. I managed to shake them off, but decided that I was vulnerable, so gulped down my last slice of ham and headed off sharpish.

I got lost somewhere close to Pursimiehenkatu, but saw a tram heading in straight to West Terminal, so decided to follow that. It was all worth getting lost, though, when I turned a corner, and saw the sparkling blue waters of the port.



I figured that the West Terminal was just around here, and walked down Tyynenmerenkatu jubilantly. What I hadn't reckoned on was how long it was. It went on, and on, and on, and at several points I seriously wondered if I was really on the right trail. I found another supermarket, and went in to get some more sparkling water, and asked the cashier where the West Terminal was. Just keep walking down, he said. Righty then.

I found the Terminal and checked in to the St Peter's counter. I have to admit that I wondered a bit whether the ticket that I'd bought via Ksenia was valid or not, and I heaved not a small sigh of relief when the ticket officer confirmed my booking and printed off my tickets. I still had about 4 hours to go before the ship was scheduled to leave, so I went back, and spent most of the remaining afternoon dangling my legs over the Baltic sea water and walking up and down Tyynenmerenkatu.










No comments:

Post a Comment