carpediem

carpediem

Wednesday 21 June 2017

Busan, part II - Sky Island Guesthouse


The hostel I stayed I whilst I was in Busan. As far as hostels go this one wasn't bad at all. It cost about 15 euros, and included an all-you-can eat breakfast. I'm serious. The definition of an all-you-can-eat meal is that you eat until you're full and can eat no more, and they did provide that. The hostel was very clean, and the guy working the counter (can't exactly call him a maître d') spoke remarkably good English by Korean standards, and ASTONISHINGLY good Mandarin as well. (I did not realise this till the second day lmao). It was a very clean hostel, and was one of those Good Ones that provide curtains for privacy, and your own personal night light and power socket in each bunk bed, which was also nice and big and spacey. If there's one complaint I have it's that it's not really a social sort of hostel - the common room is off limits after 10 I think and I even got shoeed out when I went there at about midnight. I dunno. I like my hostels to be a little more social than that. If you ask me which were the best, most memorable hostels I've ever stayed in, this is just off the top of my head but rightaway I'll tell you Corner Hostel in Wroclaw, Gate Hostel in Vilnius, and the Copenhagen hostel whose name eludes me now. These three strike me particularly, for some reason - not because they were particularly clean (although they were dirt cheap, even the Danish one - by Danish standards anyway), but because .. because I really enjoyed my time there? No that's not it. I did enjoy my time there and the people I met, but it goes deeper than that. It's one of those experiences you can't fully explain or rationalize with words. To quote Haruki Murakami, and a bit of Anne Rice, how pathetic it is to attempt to measure something which cannot be measurable.

No matter. I fried myself 3 eggs, got a mug of orange juice (which I normally don't like much but when you're on the road free food is not really something you pass up), sat around in a vain attempt to wait for my phone to recharge, which it did not, then headed out to explore.

To be continued..










No comments:

Post a Comment