carpediem

carpediem

Sunday 6 January 2019

Kosovo, part II - Prishtina (ii): more local bars. Skanderbeg statue, and the local mosque

Hostel breakfast

Had yummy hostel breakfast which was included in the price tag, and consisted of hard boiled eggs, bread, Ajvar (a savoury, slightly spicy orange Balkan paste) and plum jam, along with cheese. Now I'm not a huge fan of bread and will eat it when I'm in the mood, so my breakfast was usually me sitting down with a cup of coffee, an egg or two and some Ajvar and plum jam, which were both served in shot glasses.

After this I decided to go on the walking tour, which convened at the Skanderbeg statue on the square across from the hostel. Skanderbeg is a 15th century Albanian national hero who fought against, and held the Turks at bay. He is viewed by some historians as a contemporary of Vlad Dracula, the real life Romanian warlord who inspired Bram Stoker's Dracula. That's how I got to know of him.

Skanderbeg





It was very hot and I managed to take in all that the guide was saying, but appreciated at the same time that this would have been much better if it wasn't so scorchingly hot. In the evening I went on a mini pub crawl of my own and had loads of cheap cocktails, as I do.

More to come.

The entrance to one of the mosques. One of the Australian girls on the walking tour questioned the safety of this makeshift bridge


Inside the mosque
















Waiting for coffee



No comments:

Post a Comment