carpediem

carpediem

Sunday 3 December 2017

Continental #6 - Prelude and Budapest



I feel that I have become less eloquent of late, especially over the past few years or so ever since I started working, but I will certainly attempt to put my feelings and the things I experienced, into words. I am taking this so seriously that I've migrated my work back to my older laptop, which I find easier to type on, and by extension write on. It is difficult to maintain your train of thought when you cannot type properly and have to divert your attention to applying the right pressure on the keypad, and constantly stopping to adjust for typos. It is extremely tiresome.

I stopped to write a raw account of how I felt, and the things that struck me most deeply, in my personal journey yesterday. I was fresh off the plane and jetlagged and exhausted, I hadn't slept for 24 hours and I hadn't slept properly for about 72. I typed on my new, hard-to-type laptop, and I will not be retyping my experiences again because timing is important and I can never recapture that snapshot of a feeling or emotion again, but it was tiresome enough for me to type yesterday that I'm using the laptop I'm more comfortable with now. The words are flowing, and that owes no small debt to the fact that this keypad really is much easier to type on.

I planned this trip whilst working one of my most strenuous, fulltime jobs, and this was the longest trip I've been on yet. I've covered so many cities it makes my head spin, I have climbed mountains and seen enough Renaissance paintings and frescoes and murals to last me for at least two years. I say two years because I like Renaissance art; Caraveggio and Raphael, not to mention the incomparable Michelangelo. I haven't had enough of Italy yet, but one week this time round was enough. I got rather sick of their buses not being on time.

When I left for this trip, my soul was sick, and now it's whole again.

Budapest, of course it's always Budapest. I always return to Budapest. I saw Beniamin again, as I always do every time I come back, and it was wonderful. He took me around his uni and we met some of his friends, had lunch together at a delicious local restaurant close to the university, and one thing he said really stayed with me - "Budapest looks different every month." We then had waffles at a small but incredibly popular (and also eye-wateringly cheap) booth near to the Ferenciek tere metro station, then he went with me to the post office to enquire about some stamps. All in all it was a really nice day.





Beniamin's university

The pretty tiled roofs reminded me of Sibiu, which probably isn't surprising




Back in the hostel..








Beniamin said this was built to be a nuclear reactor, but was later abandoned



The CEU library. Probably my favourite location in the university.




Of course I had to return



Not Budapest, but Gyor, which we passed on our way to

Hungarian goulash soup




The diner where Beniamin and I had lunch



No comments:

Post a Comment