carpediem

carpediem

Sunday 17 December 2017

Romania, part VIII - Sighisoara (vi) - the school on the hill, the train station, and wrapup

Probably one of the most picturesque Old Town squares I've had the pleasure of visiting

For me, hot coffees on cold mornings have become the epitome of a perfect moment. Also, I think I will find it hard to ever travel again during non-wintry seasons.

We had a train to catch to Alba Iulia in the mid morning. I got up early and went out to do some walking around, and also managed to get a last bowl of heavenly tripe soup at Concordia.

Define happiness. Happiness was me walking around Sighisoara citadel in the early morning. The sky was periwinkle blue and no one else was around, and it was minus three degrees and white air came out whenever I breathed. I looked back down at the city, and there was wood smoke coming from almost every chimney that I could see. I don't think I mentioned this, but is nearly all the Romanian towns we visited, especially Sighisoara, you could almost perpetually smell burning wood, and it got into your hair as well. Especially if your hair was long and wavy like mine. Other countries that smelt like burning wood were Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Croatia, but to far lesser extents. 









Anyway, a lot of the cobbled pavements in the citadel were iced up, and I really had to watch my footing - I did not fancy having to carry a broken leg back home, or worse. 

The feeling of the chill air upon my face, and watching the thick white smoke billow out of the chimneys in the town below. 

You ask me if I found Dracula? Yes, I do believe I have.


Sighisoara train station

The train was over an hour late, but we weren't in THAT much of a hurry, so.










The restaurant carriage, where our seats were








The staircase leading up to the school and church on the hill






















One last photo




No comments:

Post a Comment