carpediem

carpediem

Friday 8 December 2017

Romania, part II - Cluj-Napoca (ii)



Splitting the Cluj-Napoca entries up into two because too many pictures. Actually, based on my average, it should have been four entries - 20 for each, but for ease of access I'm going to cram them into two. I learnt the hard way that I really don't want to be wading through endless entries when looking for something specific, or doing some 'light' reading.

One of the major highlights of Cluj-Napoca was the incredibly hot landlord, or landlord's son/brother/whatever. He was of medium height (only slightly taller than me, as I recall), with a demure manner, and he had blonde hair, blue eyes and a generally light colouring. Definitely not Germanic, though - they come from a different stock, the people of Dacia. Anyway, one annoyance about this apartment (and actually of some of the other hostels I stayed in this time round) was that we had to stand around waiting for them whilst they took their sweet time coming to open the door and check us in. I suppose this is what you get when you travel in low season, but it's still annoying.

After about 15 mins of waiting outside the door (it might have been longer but times goes by faster when you're chatting) the guy finally showed up. He was probably my age, 28 at the most, not younger than 24 though. I tried to hide my appreciation of his good looks, and we tried to keep a straight face whilst he got a copy of the contract for Lital to sign, and we handed him our passports and paid him, etc. His English was not particularly good, but I wondered if he actually understood more than he let on.

He went out for a bit, leaving me and Lital alone in the room, and I wondered if we should ask him for restaurant recommendations - "and there are a few other questions I'd like to ask him about the city as well, such as -"

"- whether or not he has a twin brother," Lital finished for me, and we both exploded into helpless laughter. I doubled up on the floor laughing uncontrollably. The hot guy walked back with a look of polite bemusement that graduated into all-out laughter, and the three of us just stood there roaring for a good 5 minutes or so.

"I'm sorry, my friend's very excited," Lital said to Mr. Cluj-Napoca Hot Guy.

After he had gone, we spent a good half hour discussing his immaculate looks. I asked Lital how she had known that I fancied him.

"Well, I thought he was hot, too, and I could just sense the appreciation coming from you as well," she said, and we both dissolved into more giggles.

Well, back to the city itself. We went to a splendid restaurant called the Roata. More walking around. There was an open-air performance with the spangled banner bearing the legend TRANSILVANIA, featuring (as they usually do) some truly horrible singing. Other snapshots? The Carrefour that was 5 mins walk from the residence. Me and Lital popping there to buy breakfast, and coffee from the coffee vending machine, every day. The chill air - it was already in the minuses when we went - that piercing cold that I know and love. Walking along the streets, enjoying the sensation of no people, the feeling of being far away from my world.















The best mornings - cloudy, freezing, me on my way to the Carrefour to get ham and yoghurt

The house of Matthias Corvinus
















Matthias Rex







No comments:

Post a Comment