carpediem

carpediem

Saturday 5 July 2014

Part I - Copenhagen, the city of fairytales and pot


A/N: I've relocated from my old blog, hosted by blog.com, since the server was just..awful. I realize I probably should have started off by reposting my old blogs, but that's just boring, and besides, I really wanted to share my Baltic trip. Words cannot express my disgust with blog.com's abysmal host server. You would have expected something better from a domain that calls itself "blog.com." Here I was, fresh from my trip and rarin' to write, and the server DIED on me. It's been down for more than 24 hours now. I then had to spend ages and ages figuring out wordpress and this, and eventually decided to go with this, since wordpress messed up my pictures, making them blurry and changing their colours. Muchas gracias. The problem with blogpost is that I have to sort all of my categories manually, and the dashboard is just really, really hard to navigate. I am sick of all this technical stuff. Anyway, without further ado, I present you with my Copenhagen diary, day 1.  



--------------------

Back from Copenhagen and northern Poland, which was another fascinating trip. I distinctly remember booking my Gdansk - London tickets in Barcelona, looking up the prices, sighing, groaning, wondering whether I should do the whole of central Europe or not, talking to my professor and my friends, one of whom was Joanne, who ended up going with me to Romania.

The time of the flights for this trip were ridiculous, just like the Romania one from Stansted. The Stansted - Copenhagen flight was at 0700, while the Gdansk - Luton one was at 0600. I suppose that’s what you get for flights that cost less than 20 pounds. The Malmo - Gdansk one was a lot better, 1640, although that didn’t really give me too much time to do anything that day, and it didn’t help that the flight was unexpectedly delayed for an hour. It only cost me 9 pounds though! However, when one door closes another one opens up, and that was certainly the case for my delayed Malmo flight.

But on, and this sweltering London weather is really getting to me. I miss Gdansk, where it was so cold it woke me up in the middle of the night, and I breathed out white smoke.

Preparations:

The usual - booking my flights several weeks in advance, booking my accommodation (hostels as always) a week in advance, and shaking out an itinerary about 3 days before actually going there, which is cutting it rather fine, I know, but life has been so hectic recently that I really can’t help it. And whaddaya know, this has served me very well for every trip I’ve made so far.

Took the night bus to Liverpool Street, and then a National Express to Stansted, where I whizzed through security and found myself on the flight en route to the hometown of Hans Christian Andersen.

First thing to greet me as I stepped out of customs.

Well, this is promising.


I took the metro to the city centre, which cost 36 dkk for a single trip, and the tickets can be bought at the vending machines dotted around the airport and metro. It was raining like mad when I got there, and the city looked rather grim, but in all fairness, no city looks good when the weather’s this bad.



A statue of the famous story-wright himself.



I met a really rude Chinese girl on the way, who was also looking for the hostel, which had provided extremely vague directions on their website and made it really difficult for the average new kid in town to find. I had followed their instructions to no avail, and decided that I’d just walk along with my GPS. The girl however insisted on telling me that my GPS was weird and outdated and how much more superior hers was, which really was not the best thing to say to someone whom you’re trying to ask help from.

“Well, if yours is so much better, then why do you need mine? Shut up and let me do my thing, or get lost,” I said to her, which probably wasn’t really very polite of me, but at that point I was jetlagged, cold and wet, and not in a tolerable mood. She mumbled something about her phone being dead *in which case, all the more reason to shut up, since I’m the one with the science here!* and tagged along at a distance, but I somehow lost her along the way. It was rather funny when I saw her turn up at the hostel about two hours after I had arrived.

 The hostel foyer. As far as hostels go, this one wasn’t really my cup of tea. I know lots of people like hostels with bars and a party scene, but that’s not really my thing.


I spent the first three hours of Copenhagen hobnobbing in the hostel foyer with some new friends I’d made, since the weather was dismally bad, which was just my luck. We lounged about till around 3, then decided that we’d go out, bad weather or not. We walked around the sopping city centre, and somehow found ourselves in Fristaden Christiania, the infamous cannabis neighbourhood. It was quite extraordinary. The whole place reeked of weed, and everyone looked stoned. Even the pigeons.

 “You are now entering the EU.”


There was a museum of sorts, where the curators were, unsurprisingly, also high. we overheard them telling some other tourists about how they grew their own weed.

 The ‘restaurant.’




A map of the district


Going down the stairs


It was a really rather dodgy place, Christiania, and the rain did not help in the least. I was rather glad when we left the place. We walked around the city some more, watched some people kayaking (or trying to, anyway - they kept capsizing, which was hilarious) and, for some reason, there were loads of jellyfish in the canals. I did not know that Copenhagen was famous for its jellyfish. Large ones they were, too.

The canals with their jellyfish


The Stock Exchange. Note the unusual twisted spire.


I realise that this entry is somewhat boring, which is what lots of rain, sleep deprivation and secondhand pot will do to a person. The hostel provided dinner, which was surprisingly edible, and went out for a walk around the city again, this time on my own. The city certainly looks a lot better when it’s not raining.

The hostel was all right, I guess. As I mentioned before, I’m not really into the party scene, and it was a bit too boisterous for my liking, but I can see why some people would 'dig' it. I really liked my hostel in Gdansk, but that of course is another story. This hostel cost 16 pounds a night, which is the most I’ve paid for any hostel, but since it’s northern Europe, I suppose I couldn’t really have expected otherwise. They have a free walking tour every morning at 10:45, which is led by an enthusiastic-looking, energetic man, and I would have gone, if not for the fact that I had that bus to catch at 12 the next day. One thing I did not like about the hostel was that their reception is their bar - so there’s always a perpetual queue of people lining up there, a mixture of weary backpackers and drunk football fans. I had to wait about half an hour before I could check in, and later on, when I wanted a mojito, I had to wait for ages as well. I thought it was a rather poor arrangement.

All in all, unusual place, Copenhagen. Certainly not what I was expecting. More soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment