carpediem

carpediem

Saturday 5 July 2014

Part III - Over the Baltic Sea to the amber capital


Said a very emotional farewell to the gang, whom I’d become very fond of, after the 65 dkk all-you-can-eat buffet-style breakfast. (That’s too many hyphens there, methinks.) Anyway, just witnessed Belgium being kicked out of the World Cup by don’t-cry-for-me-Argentina. I have a feeling that it’s going to boil down to those few Latin American countries. Am truly sorry that Columbia lost yesterday, since this means that I won’t be able to see the delectable and delightful James Rodriguez in action any more.

Walked over to the Copenhagen central station to catch a shuttle to Malmo. On my way to the station, I went by the Tivoli theme park, which I didn’t enter. I’ve been on enough Ride of Deaths and Pirates of the Caribbean to last me a lifetime. I hate those freefall ones, where your stomach jumps into your mouth and your feet are ripped off the ground by G-force.





The shuttle was operated by Neptunbus, cost 100dkk, and was the cheapest transportation I could find. Its prices are really competitive, especially when you look at the tolls for the Oresund Bridge, the double-trackrailway and dual carriageway bridge-tunnel spanning the Øresund strait between Sweden and Denmark. It’s a remarkable feat of engineering, almost 8km in length. When they were building it, they discovered 16 unexploded World War II bombs on the seafloor. Something rather similar to this happened to me in Gdansk, but I’ll discuss that later.

A view of the strait from the Oresund Bridge, quite the once in a lifetime experience


Arrived at Malmo airport without much incident. One thing that really fascinated me was the fact that they have 7-11s here.



I met a lovely couple in the airport who were also going to Gdansk, and we debated world politics, history and vegetarianism when the Wizzair flight was delayed for an hour.

Wizzing through the air!


They were kind enough to give me a ride to the hostel, and we ended up having dinner together at Gdansk’s old city centre. It was then that I decided that I was really going to like Poland, if their people were all this hospitable and amicable.

The hostel. This was probably the best hostel I ever stayed at - the atmosphere, the price&value, the people, the city, everything about it was just perfect. Even the graffiti - although it must be said, this city has some very interesting street art.



And my room - 4 pounds per night and an all-you-can-eat breakfast included. One of the many reasons why I love being in this part of the world - you can live well on a budget. And the food is MARVELLOUS, but I will get to that in a moment.



The kitchen. I simply adore hostels.

The football match on the screen, ha!


I spent a considerable chunk of the night talking to some of the other travellers here, all of whom were from former Eastern bloc countries. You meet a very different bunch of people here from the ones in popular destinations such as Copenhagen and Barcelona. All of these central/eastern Europeans speak considerably good English (a lot better than their Western counterparts to be honest), are smart, opinionated and passionate about the world and life in general. I learned more from them during these days than I did from my history books back in school. They told me all about the Ukrainian situation, various Soviet leaders and the parts they played and how their decisions influenced the 21st century, life under the Communist rule, and visa problems.

Did not manage to turn in early, since we had too much fun talking about Khrushchev and the annexation of the Crimean peninsula. Was nevertheless obliged to get up early the next day, since I’d planned to visit Sopot and Frombork. I bought a 24 hour pass valid for trams and buses, which cost 6 zloty (about 1 GBP). These can be bought from random vending machines located in subways, which featured very impressive graffiti. Another city with interesting graffiti was Lisbon, which I realise I have written up on either.

This one was my personal favourite. The artists captured the essence of the people here perfectly.



This one reminded me of the Statue of Liberty - which is probably ironic, given that they only shook off the yoke of the USSR some twenty years prior.



On the way to the train station, and these are tram tracks. I wonder why there aren’t any trams in England (not that I’ve seen so far, anyway)?



And this was really interesting. It’s a signpost pointing in the directions of what they probably consider to be the more interesting cities in the world, including Barcelona (but of course), St Petersburg, Rotterdam, and...Cleveland?





When I reached the train station, there were people rushing around and the whole place was blaring with police horns. I asked the rather good-looking gentleman at the information centre what was going, and he told me that they’d just found a bomb from the second World War on one of the train tracks, and that Gdansk Glowny was in a state of lockdown. The bomb was undetonated, he hastily reassured me. I was really quite shocked, and intrigued. In the Netherlands, I encountered a railway lockdown because someone jumped in front of a train, and then of course you get all the normal train delays because of various boring reasons. But I must say, it’s quite a novelty for your train to stop operating because they found a bomb from the second World War.

Shall end this entry on that particular note, with the hilarious bomb notice the station personnel later tacked on to the ticket booth.



No comments:

Post a Comment