carpediem

carpediem

Monday 7 July 2014

Part V: Inside the old town of Gdansk


A heads up: this entry is going to be loaded with photos, because as I mentioned about three times already, Poland is ridiculously and utterly photogenic. I actually think that all of the pictures deserve to be uploaded, but unfortunately that can’t be the case, so I’ve whittled it down to...oh, only twice the normal amount I usually put in a post.

I actually had loads and loads of bad weather during this trip. First it rained all day when I arrived at Copenhagen, then a thunderstorm broke out when I came back from Sopot, and then there was a third thunderstorm when I went to Frombork. But I managed to wait them out (and they usually happened when I was in restaurants) and what do you know, I get blue skies again after all the hullaballoo has passed.

When I went back to Gdansk, it was still relatively early on in the day, and I’d decided to visit Frombork the next day, so the rest of the day was happy G-day. The first place I visited (or tried to visit) was the Wystawa 'Drogi do Wolności' exhibition, which the Swedish couple had recommended me the day before. It’s a museum featuring much of the memorabilia pertaining to Poland during the postwar communist period (1956-1989), but unfortunately, it was undergoing maintenance and therefore was not open. I stood around and took some pictures of it. The museum itself looked very communist-y.






I took a tram back to the main station although it was only one stop, but it was too hot to walk and I had my 24 hour pass, so I figured why not.

And then it was bus no. 100 from there to the old city centre, which was...about 3 stops, but again with the heat and my bus pass.

A large part of the city was destroyed during the carnage of WWII, and was painstakingly rebuilt during the 1950s and 1960s, with a special emphasis on Flemish and Italian influences, while studiously avoiding anything that resembled Germanic, Prussian, or anything that spoke of the Third Reich. The destruction that Poland suffered during the second World War was horrendously devastating. There were 457 Nazi concentration camps in Nazi-occupied Germany, including the infamous Auschwitz, and the death toll of the Polish population, which amounted to 22 percent, which was the highest proportion of any European country in World War II. It doesn’t bear thinking about. I was deeply moved, and impressed, when I walked along the streets of Poland’s rebuilt cities and roads. To think that this prosperous, beautiful country had arisen from the ashes in the wake of the second World War, was very inspiring. You’d have to really be there to see what I mean - to see the cathedrals and the houses all restored to their former glory, the bustling streets and the smiling faces of the people. Poland is the friendliest country I’ve ever been in, as well as Luxembourg. You would have thought that the people here would be more reticent and on their guard, given their history and what their neighbouring countries/states have done to them in the past, but they’re the warmest, most open-minded and accommodating people I’ve encountered as a whole so far. Not to mention the fact that they speak the best English, too.

The old city centre is mainly comprised of Ulica Długa (Long Street) and Długi Targ (Long Market). I think it goes without saying that this was one of my favourite old city centres in all the countries I’ve been in.

The Złota Brama.



Walking in to the Ulica Długa.

Thanks for photobombing every single one of my pictures


It was gorgeous. If I lived in Gdansk, I would come here for a cup of coffee every day after school/work.



The Ratusz Głównego Miasta right at the end of the Ulica (the one with the copper spire), with a gilded statue of King Sigismund II Augustus of Poland on its pinnacle (installed in 1561).



Ah yes, this is a closer look.



Crossing into the Długi Targ.

The Zielona Brama is the red building in the backdrop


The buildings with their Flemish designs and pastel colours are very becoming in the early July sun, and the Zielona Brama in the background finishes it off nicely.



One of the main landmarks of this area is the Fontanna Neptuna, which was built in 1617, but the building in its backdrop was undergoing reconstruction and swathed with one of those ugly green construction nets, which photobombed my picture like nobody’s business, so I’m leaving that out of my collection here.

When you walk out of the Zielona Brama, you’re presented with a stunning view of the Motława in all its noonday splendour.



This was the part where I went “damn..I’ve taken about 120 really good photographs of this place, but I’m only allowed to pick one for my blog!”



The other side of the river.



Oh, the deuce. I think I’ll just go ahead and inundate this post anyway.



They do feature minuscule differences in angle, so that you can see them..from various sides.



Oh dear. I’ve just gone back and looked at my “part V” folder, and realised that there are still about 15 photos I want to include in this entry. Maybe I’d better split this one up as well. At this rate, it’s going to take me forever to finish this!

I really need to wrap this up quickly and get cracking on my dissertation. Time’s running out. It doesn’t help that I spent most of the morning rebooting and debugging my system because my wireless wouldn’t work and I thought my laptop had been invaded by a Trojan, only to find out much later that I’d merely turned off the F8 wireless button by accident. Grrr.

Anyway, toodles and TBC!



No comments:

Post a Comment