carpediem

carpediem

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Frankfurt, part I - the Old Town Square



I initially thought that Frankfurt would be a fairly quick wrapup but I actually have quite the collection of photos. This entry has 19 of them, but I really don't want to split it up because I want it to be themed.

Nothing much happened in Frankfurt, nothing worth writing about, anyway. I met a Taiwanese girl and of course we hit it off because we're both from Taiwan, but footnote friends again. Though I suppose I could find her fairly easily if I wanted to, since I know where she went to for high school, university and her MA, and she told me her name. Lin something.

Anyway, back to the morning, in Fussen. I woke up at 4am, washed and prepped and got ready to leave. Had one last cuppa coffee in the kitchen. I don't know what it is about this hostel but somehow I kept expecting the hostel owner, the grumpy German man, to somehow jump out at me and behead me with a machete. It was very cold, the house was dimly lit, and when I left, I found that the front door was unlocked, which freaked me out a bit to be honest. Our bedroom doors don't have locks either, and even though Fussen seemly like a fairly safe place, there's still no telling with the amount of visitors you get. I was quite relieved to leave, to be honest - I didn't like the hostel very much, it just gave off bad vibes.

I went out, and it was still dark, which also put me off. The sky was a velvety black, and - I shall remember this best about Fussen - I happened to look up into the skies, and it was completely filled with stars, so many that you could actually discern the Milky Way, running like an iridescent white band amongst the velvet. I don't think I've seen such clear skies in years. I stood there for quite a while, positively gaping. I think the skies were much more impressive than the castles,to be honest.

The train station was deserted when I got there, about 5:40am, since the 6am train bound for Augsburg was the first train. It was very creepy. I have no idea why I booked such an early train; what was I thinking?

No matter. The train was horribly uncomfortable - I vastly prefer buses - and it was ridiculously delayed. I had to transfer at Augsburg, though the transfer time was only 5 minutes thanks to the 20 minute delay, so I couldn't even step out and look around a bit.



The train to Frankfurt.



After four more hours of bum-numbing train, I finally arrived at Frankfurt.




And it felt oddly familiar. I am a city girl at heart, and I revelled in the frenetic hustle and bustle of Frankfurt am Main. It was such a welcome change to Fussen, even though I was only there for two days. I've never really liked small towns and villages - they unsettle me. The garish splendour and relentless energy of Germany's financial capital was like a balm to my spirit.




My hostel was easy peasy to find - right outside the Hbf. There was a really good view of the Hbf from my hostel, and it was called, quite simply, Frankfurt Hostel.



I don't think I mentioned this either, but the Fussen hostel, apart from being extremely dodgy, had atrocious WiFi. I could hardly get online. Frankfurt had a great WiFi signal, and the first thing I did after checkin was to sit myself down and get my long-overdue dose of online.




After the abysmal weather in Fussen, I was gratified to get lots of sunshine in Frankfurt. Spent the afternoon wandering around. Frankfurter Roemer, Cathedral of St. Bartholomew and Mainkai Street
were some of the places I wanted to see. I found my way to the Old Town and started from there. And from now on it's pictures galore!











No comments:

Post a Comment