carpediem

carpediem

Thursday 22 January 2015

Munich, part II

We are currently standing in the old city square, which of course was bursting to the seams with tourists galore.



We are observing the magnificent Rathaus, with its wonderful clock tower, or Glockenspiel.


The clocktower figurines have always rather terrified me to be honest


A wee glimpse of the Rathaus itself, which really was something - imposing, Gothic, herculean.




I wonder if people can tell when I'm being insincere? Maybe they can.



There was an arched doorway complete with medieval doors which led into a verandah within the Rathaus, so naturally I went in.



Parts of it kind of looked like Bran Castle in Romania.




Most of it really looked just like what it was, the interior of the Rathaus.



After this I headed over to the Oktoberfest field, which was about half an hour's walk, through some surprisingly shady neighbourhoods.

It was basically just a big fairground.


Dirndl.



I wandered around for ten minutes or so, decided that was enough (didn't get to go into their famous beer tents), and went back to the Hbf, which was about 10 minutes away. GPS was very helpful.

My favourite place when travelling, the Hbf. Railway stations, particularly big ones like these, provide me with an odd sense of comfort and, dare I say, belonging. They're always so large and shiny and bustling, with their schedules and conductors and overpriced shops and (in this part of the world at least) Billas. Chockfull of people like me, travellers hurtling to their next destination. I like that sense of transition and trepidation, of being a fleeting "passerby."



I found an early train I could take to Salzburg, which nonetheless still wasn't due to leave till about 40 minutes later. The train - called "Meridian" huffed and puffed into the station.

This actually wasn't the Meridian train I had to take, but since it was coming from Salzburg, and terminates at Vienna, I thought it was worth a picture.


I lounged around and took some rather silly pictures of the Meridian since I'm an Asian tourist and that's what I do. I am very fond of this train, and it wasn't the last time I took this train on this trip, either. Also, I would come back to Munich fairly soon. Why do all roads lead to Munich?

MYYY train.



I was the first person on the train, which eventually filled up merrily, but this is what the carriage looked like when I had the whole compartment to myself.

It's very nice, seeing no people at all.



The destination, and we are off to Mozart's birthplace, the city that brought us Alla Turca and The Sound of Music.

Destination Salzburg.

Journey to Salzburg lasted about 3 hours, during which I rolled through gorgeous Bavarian countrysides, and entered increasingly mountainous terrain. Took the train on the Bayern ticket, just as I had when coming in from Nuremberg. Bayern's the way to get around here, it's certainly the cheapest option.

No comments:

Post a Comment