carpediem

carpediem

Thursday 22 January 2015

Munich, part I

The train from Nuremberg to Munich was supposed to take about two hours but as with all the other German trains I took during this trip, I was horribly and incredibly delayed, though to be fair that probably had something to do with Oktoberfest. Loads of lederhosen and dirndl, the likes of which I hope never to see again. Carriagefuls of singing, drinking Germans, the trains bursting to the seams. The Germans are very friendly; a man offered me his SEAT despite the fact that I'm young and fit. I like how they always prioritise women here.

I didn't stay the night in Munich because the hostel prices had skyrocketed thanks to Oktoberfest. According to some Kiwis I met in Salzburg, even TENTING there cost 60 euros a night per person. Whew, no thanks. I'd originally planned out a whole day for myself in Munich but finished it really in less than three hours, upon which I caught an earlier train to Salzburg.. but that can come later.

Anyhow, first thing I saw when I alighted at Munich Hbf, which was just awash with people.

A bit fuzzy because I was trying to be surreptitious


Everyone was dressed in them, and now I see where all the peasant dress designs in my childhood fairy tales came from, since most of them I believe were of Germanic origin.

Did lots of walking and the weather was really just as bad as ever. Loads of clouds. Horrid Bavarian weather. Though at least it didn't rain.


Dare I see a bit of blue sky?






Found a place to have wurst. It was called Nuremberger sausage or something like that. Very tiny wurst they were, too, and set me back 15 euros I think. Can't really remember if I tipped or not. I may have. I don't like tipping. I'm glad I come from a thoroughly non-tipping country.

Tiny little wursties.


Once I'd finished, I headed further into the old city centre.


Weather's marginally clearing up then



And the city Glockenspiel, always my favourite feature of Bavarian cities.



To be continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment