carpediem

carpediem

Monday 26 January 2015

Hallstatt, part IV - Salzwelten ii



This entry has still somehow managed to score 19 pictures, but I don't really want to split it up anymore. The last entry left us climbing the rather steep pathway up to the Salzwelten, or maybe I'm just out of shape. I had to cut the whole thing pretty close; the Salzwelten can only be accessed via guided tours which have a fixed schedule, so it's not as if I could just sally in whenever I pleased. The tour was meant to end at 10:50, and considering the fact that the ferry left the pier at 11 o'clock sharp, I was actually rather nervous during the whole tour, which ruined it a bit for me. Getting from the pier to the Salzwelten had taken me about 40 minutes, although I had to factor in the ticket-buying, ambling, photographing and waiting for the funicular. The funicular, too, operated on a fixed schedule, which left me about one minute apiece for the journeys between each point of departure. Why does EVERYTHING have a operate to schedule here? I admire order, but this is too much. I wish they were like normal lifts, and you could just press a button or two and be on your way.

Anyway, the Salzwelten took a lot of prepping. First we had to wait for the tour to start, and we had to put on these overalls over our clothes that were either purple or orange. Apparently Salzwelten  is a popular destination for school trips (lucky Austrian and German kids) because my entire journey, starting from the Gnigl, was just overrun with teenagers. This was no different, and my tour group mainly comprised a large group of kids in their middle teens. There were only about 6 other mature visitors besides me, two of which were an elderly and rather pompous American couple who asked the tour guide, rather disparagingly,if they could wait till the next tour since they "didn't want to go with all these kids." Unsurprisingly, the guide said no. I didn't think she was very friendly - or maybe she had a bad day - but her English was fairly good, and she conducted the entire tour in both German and English. German is, surprisingly, a very pretty language to listen to.

Clad in our overalls, we were led into this dark, narrow tunnel.



Where we walked on, and on, and on.. until we reached a huge slide, which we had to slide down. It felt like we were sliding all the way to the core of the earth, past the mantle and crust. I didn't like this very much. Again, vertigo.



We then watched a rather run-of-your-mill 3D film introducing the geological formations of the Alps and how salt was formed here.



Then another slide, urgh. Apparently this is the longest slide in the world, spanning 64 metres. Did not like. There was a staircase as an alternative, but who wants to bother with that?



Then we watched a light display of the rock formations. This picture is atrocious, but for posterity's sake I'm still going to include it.



Then we watched another presentation on a fascinating figure named the "Man in Salt." His body was discovered in 1734 and was initially thought to be one of the town's miners who had gotten trapped underground, but later forensics showed that the man was actually from a Bronze Age miner from some 7000 years ago.



Lots more walking, and then we came out to my favourite part of the tour, this little train-like carriage that carries you out of the mountain. Considering all the slides and the extremely long downwards tunnel we walked to get where we were, it's a very considerate thought of them.






Even though I had less than 10 minutes to make the desperate dash up a mountain, down another mountain, wait for a funicular and then charge along the highway to the pier, I still somehow managed to get some more pictures in.







Let the dashing begin. Here I am, waiting for the funicular, w a i t i n g, whilst playing out all the scenarios that would happen should I miss the ferry, and by extension the train to Bad Ischl, the bus to Salzburg, the train to Munich and then the regional to Fussen. Even thinking about that day still makes me exhausted. How DID I manage?



Somehow, magically, I MADE IT. And here I am on the ferry, bidding Auf Wiedersehen to Hallstatt.



I would love to come again, under less rushed circumstances. After all, Salzwelten was sort of a last-minute addition.

Just when I thought I was safe and sound with my schedule, I found out - along with a bunch of other similarly flabbergasted visitors - that the ticket machine in Hallstatt Hbf WAS NOT WORKING. This is why I strongly recommend buying return tickets at Bad Ischl, where there were too ticket booths and at least 3 working ticket machines. In Hallstatt Hbf there was only one machine, which was out of order, and the office was, for reasons ungraspable to the average visitor, boarded up and looked nothing more like an abandoned woodhut. Fortunately, the ticket conductor on the train (when it arrived) said, in broken English, that he was aware of the situation, was very nice about it, and let us buy our tickets from him, which he then proceeded to punch.

On the bus from Bad Ischl to Salzburg.


This entry is overlong already so I shall talk a bit more in the next entry about the lengthy and convoluted journey from Hallstatt to Fussen, which took about 9 hours in total, so that when I got there it was almost 11pm. Oh, and of course the trains were delayed. And then the hostel took AGES to find, and when I did find it, it was apparently in the throes of construction so I had to weave my way gingerly through piles of rubble, and then the door proved very hard to find, and when I DID locate it, it was locked, and no amount of hammering could alert anyone (no doorbell), and chucking pebbles at the dimly lit windows didn't work either, and then when I called the hostel phone a very grumpy German with broken English answered, did not help me in the slightest, and I eventually only managed to get in because another few similarly disgruntled houseguests showed up and we made enough noise for the person "in charge" to come out, and she turned out to be from Taiwan too... and when I eventually managed to get into my room it was already 1am, and by the time I was done with washing and stuff and could go to bed, it was 2:30, all the lower bunks were taken as well as the power sockets so I had to surreptitiously remove one of them for my tablet, OH NOT TO MENTION THE RIDICULOUS TOURIST TAX..

What a day. This stuff probably should go into the next entry, but I really needed to stress what a looooooooooooooong day this was.



No comments:

Post a Comment