carpediem

carpediem

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Frankfurt, part IV - Goethe House



Last day on the continent. Only item on itinerary: Goethe House, home to the prolific Romantic writer Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. My flight was due to leave Frankfurt Hahn at 21:39, which still gave me an entire day in Frankfurt. I spent the morning at Goethehaus, and the afternoon... er, I hate to say it, but I was pretty whipped after an entire month of nonstop travelling, so I basically just chilled in the hostel before leaving at around 4 to get the bus to Hahn airport, which was a two hour journey from am Main.

Goethehaus. My favourite Goethe is his reworking of Marlowe's Faustus. Possibly cliche and probably predictable, but whatever. I liked that he made Faust redeemable by his insatiable desire for more knowledge, which falls in with the true Romantic spirit.

The house was located on Großer Hirschgraben, and this is what the street looked like.



Outside the Haus.



It had been converted into a museum that consisted of three sections: an exhibit, the actually living quarters and an art gallery.

The exhibit.







The living quarters - rather gloomy, I thought. If I had lived here in the eighteenth century, I too would have written about young and sorrowful men. And probably kept a few of my own, but I digresssssss.











The gallery, which I actually had many more pictures of, but since this entry's already pushing 23 pictures, I may have to save that for a "More Pictures" extra.



Grabbed some more wurst and sauerkraut when I came out.



 One last time, Frankfurt!





My last meal, yes at the Thai place. Thai red curry, my last meal on the continent.



As I mentioned, I caught the bus to Hahn airport, which, despite being named "Frankfurt Hahn," was more than two hours drive from the am Main and could under other circumstances be considered a scam for young and cheap tourists (yes, me). The drive however, stopping first at the more wellknown and real Frankfurt airport (the international one where I could actually catch a direct flight to Taipei) was incredibly enjoyable. It was rather magical, and I really enjoyed rolling through the gorgeous German countryside, the green hills and cottages and, ostensibly, lurking evergreen forests. You could imagine Hansel and Gretel, and The Devil With the Three Golden Hairs, and Jorinde and Joringel, all dwelling thither.

Hahn airport was small and rather shabby, and apparently used to serve as an American military base. Flight back was unremarkable, and as always I took an easyBus shuttle from Stansted to Baker Sreet. Then a straight ride via the Hammersmith and City line to Hammersmith, and home to Rene. And that was then, and we are in the now.

I shall do a wrapup later if I'm in the mood - this entry is already too long. Till next time - Bis wir uns wiedersehen!



No comments:

Post a Comment