carpediem

carpediem

Monday 26 January 2015

Fussen, part I - Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau i

I mentioned in my last entry that I was going to do lots more moaning about the ridiculously convoluted journey from Hallstatt, which took over 9 hours. It's 4am and I don't feel so much like moaning, but just to give an idea of my itinerary that day, allow me to replicate my schedule.


  1. Ferry back to Hallstatt Hbf (times need to be checked)
  2. Then from Hallstatt (14:32) to Bad Ischl (14:53)
  3. Bus 150 from Bad Ischl (14:24), arrives in Salzburg Hbf at 15:57.
  4. Leave from Salzburg Hbf at 17:12, arrive in Munich at 19:06
  5. Then depart from Munich platform 30 at 19:52, and arrive in Fussen at 21:58 via Bayern ticket.

Yeah headache. Something along those lines..

The bus journey back to Salzburg was unremarkable. It had somehow gotten rather hot as it neared midday, and the weather was impeccable. The train ride from Salzburg to Munich was extremely boring. I had about 40 minutes before my next train, and I hadn't really eaten anything the whole day (got a sandwich at Hallstatt Hbf but that was it), so I got something to eat at the Munich Hbf. Overpriced and teeming with people. I had some wurst, and as I was eating, a rather drunk man came up to me, hugged me while I tried to see if he was robbing me, and gave me a rose. Which was a rather sweet if odd gesture. 



I gave it to the somewhat dour-looking till girl who looked like she could use a pick-me-up, bought some rather overpriced fruit for the last leg of my journey, and got onto the train. It seemed like everyone there was drunk - loads of sheepish grins from random people, and the guy opposite me kept offering me crisps to eat. An American girl sitting in my carriage was so drunk that she had forgotten to buy her ticket, didn't know where her hotel was or where she currently was at all for that matter, and the ticket inspector, when he saw the state she was in, sat down very patiently with her and talked her though all the possible hotels she might be staying at and therefore her destination. He talked with her for three quarters of an hour; I watched the time. Patient man. Meanwhile, all the Germans in the carriage were listening and watching the girl make a total fool of herself and sniggering and commenting in German: look at that idiotic Amerikaner, hahaha.

I think I mentioned in the last entry how late it was when I arrived in Fussen. Fussen is one of those places that is just basically in the middle of nowhere, and I had to keep very late/early hours with it. The train station was pitch dark and would have been scary if not for the hordes of other East Asian tourists. As I mentioned, the hostel took quite a bit of finding, and then there was that annoying business with its door and management, or rather lack of.

No matter. I managed to get a bed to sleep in, and the next morning woke up along with the other people at about 9. Everyone was fresh and ready to go to the castles. The roomies were rather nice: an Aussie couple (AGAIN), a Thai boy a year older than me who was also studying in the UK, and was pretty funny. I actually rather miss him - he wasn't any great wit, nor was he particularly good-looking, but he was friendly, open and fun to be around, and had this rather hilarious gullibility to him. When we all came back in the evening, he told us how he'd accidentally broken the doorknob whilst showering (apparently it just came off in his hand), effectively trapping him in the bathroom, and he'd pounded on the door and shouted for help. A pair of Chinese girls had gone downstairs to alert the very irate landlord, who was the grumpy and unhelpful German I'd called the day before, and the landlord had proceeded to let him out with a scowl. The story made all of us roar.

But back to the morning, and the weather started out criminally well.



Caught a bus to the castles, which was actually only half an hour's journey, but waiting for the bus took aaaaaaaages. Menawhile the village of Fussen, just like Hallstatt, was awash with tourists, again mostly Asian.

When I arrived there the weather had turned into this. 



This was the Hohenschwangau, the "old" castle, built by King Maximilian II of Bavaria.



Of course, his son, Ludwig II, wanted to outdo him (Freud would have a field day), and I guess he did, because he built the Neuschwanstein.



I took the shuttlebus up to a vantage point for this picture, a bridge named St Mary's Bridge, or the Marienbrucke, also built by Ludwig II. The shuttlebus was a) another annoying thing that ran on schedule b) took me half an hour to queue for bus tickets and another to actually wait for the damn bus and c) incredibly stuffed with people. I kept getting poked by selfie poles.




Anyway, it was freezing up here and kind of boring (the castle's just a castle after all), it was really windy, and it had begun to drizzle.




But of course since I'd gone to all the trouble of getting up here, I figured I might just stay and take a hundred pictures which all looked the same.





I didn't want to take the shuttlebus down and figured I could walk. Weather got exponentially worse as I did.


I found this plaque really funny, for some reason.


TBC..



No comments:

Post a Comment