carpediem

carpediem

Sunday 25 January 2015

Salzburg, part III - Rupertikirtag and the Old Town



The Old Town was bustling with life, mainly because of the Rupertikirtag, or the Salzburg Oktoberfest.

I mentioned huge iced biscuits. These are the ones I was thinking of - they were everywhere in this region. Oh yes, and lots more dirndl and lederhosen.

Wonder if he knows how majorly he photobombed my biscuits


It was close to teatime, so I ordered a sauerkraut and wurst - very traditional Bavarian fare. This cost 4 euros but YUM. I've had loads of sauerkraut (Poland, Germany and now Austria), as well as that gross bottled stuff sold by Sainsbury's, and this was by far the best sauerkraut I've ever tasted in my entire life.




A glimpse of some of the stalls in the Rupertikirtag.



I thought this was funny - someone had draped a a shawl on one of the rather stern statues, that looked like it had been made from Elmer the elephant.





Oh, yes, and this is the house where Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart grew up!



Casting back once more at the Fortress, where Mozart first performed..



Fancy baroque architecture.



No comments:

Post a Comment