carpediem

carpediem

Wednesday 1 October 2014

Budapest, part IV - the Cave Church

I actually hadn't planned to visit the Cave Church - it wasn't on my itinerary - but I'd seen it from the waterfront restaurant and thought it looked really interesting. It's literally a church carved out of the mountainside, and Beniamin said that it was definitely worth a look, and I figured I had more than enough time, so off I went.

The directions were written quite clearly on the road, so straight ahead.




I'm thinking. I'm always thinking, that's why I like travelling solo so much. It enables me to think without the cacophonic notes of other people bursting in on me. When I want other people's thoughts or words or opinions I'll ask for them, thank you very much. And yet it's astounding how other people rope you into having to listen to them anyway. It's like some sort of listening rape.
I'm going to go off on a tangent here and wonder a bit what I want out of life. I was talking about this with Chiawei the other day and Jake too I think. Happiness, of course. One way or another.

The mountain - or hill, rather - which the church was carved out of.




I'm happy when I'm travelling and meeting people I like. I'm happy being by myself and not having to endure everyday shyte from everyday people in my everyday life and everyday city. But then there's that crux of having to return to reality, to your everydayness. And you want to be happy then, too.

You have to climb up to the church. The view was fairly nice.



The face of the church. The face of the deep.



And entering. Rolling in the deep.



I can't remember how much the tickets cost but the student price was really cheap. I'm going to really miss being a student and all the discounts, by the way.

The church. It was small, cavernous and simultaneously rough-hewn and delicate. Certainly worth seeing, and quite different from your usual church/cathedral.





Coming out. The view from another angle.



And the building opposite the church. I think it was a spa.


No comments:

Post a Comment