carpediem

carpediem

Friday 10 October 2014

Vienna, part I - Schonnbrunn Palace and UN headquarters

I am in Rene's kitchen and we're both tapping away on our keyboards here. Rene's working on her CV and sighing and groaning as she does. I'm here "writing" my blog, refreshing my boring Facebook feed (why do I do this? It's not as if I'm really interested in their boring azn lives) and talking to her about her CV, so we're not being completely antisocial. I'm writing and thinking.

I noticed how chilly it was right after I got off the 3 hour orangeways ride. Strange how different the temperature was. Most of the weather I got in Vienna was hilariously bad, but since I was staying in Petra's wonderful bohemian apartment right off the Hauptbahnhof, I didn't really mind that much. I arrived in Vienna at about 3pm I think. The bus was a bit delayed. Arrived at Petra's place around 4, and said hello to her lovely flatmates, sat around for a bit, then decided that the weather was too nice to waste so went out. As it turned out, that somewhat hasty half-afternoon was the best weather I was ever going to get during my 3 day duration in  Vienna.

I decided to visit the UN headquarters, which is right by the banks of the Danube. The metro stop was rather clear and concise.



The view of the Danube from the metro station - an overground one - was surprisingly beautiful.



Back to the headquarters again. Well. It's a building complex. Nothing fancy about it, and I didn't go in.



The view of the headquarters from the metro station. Everything looks so much better with a nice river and sunset!



And this..um, I think it was some sort of industrial hub in the same district. Also taken from the metro station.



The sun setting on the Viennese Danube.



The next day. A rainy, cold, blustery day. My first taste of actual chilly weather on the Continent. I decided to visit the Schonnbrunn Palace, and I'm going to start this off with a major spoiler: I thought it was a carbon clone of the Charlottenburg Palace in Berlin, which I went to about a week later.

There was a metro stop named "Schonnbrunn," where the palace itself was located, so fairly easy to find too.



The gates of the Palace, and no, nothing looks good in bad weather, not even grand palaces.



The Palace.



The promenade outside the palace. Actually, all I got from this was the incredibly and hilariously bad weather, and me in my soaked hoodie.



No comments:

Post a Comment