carpediem

carpediem

Saturday 11 October 2014

Six degrees of hostelling (the good, the bad and the sticky)

I have been reading way too many Buzzfeed/Elitedaily articles recently and almost found myself searching for Zooey Deschanel gifs to go with this piece. But no, I don't think I'm cool enough for that I'm just plain lazy.

The hostel I stayed at in Frankfurt. Really rather nice place, even by German standards.

Degree no. 6: 

When you walk into a hostel and the reception tells you that they made a mistake with the online booking system, that the twelve-person room you booked is already out of beds, therefore they will upgrade you to a four-person bedroom. Free of charge, of course.
Happened in: Quite a few places but I remember Prague most vividly, though it wasn't a 12 person room I'd booked to begin with.

Degree no. 5:

When the hostel tells you that you have to pay extra for "sheets." Usually 1~5 euros. And then you ask if you can manage without sheets, and they say no. Actually, paying extra for everything in general. Lockers, pillows, keys, padlocks.....ARGHHH JUST MAKE IT STOPPP. Also when you find out that there aren't any lockers and you just shake your head inwards and go, "Bitch, NO."
Happened in: Pretty much every hostel in Germany that I stayed in.

Degree no. 4:

Finding that the hostel you're staying at used to be a hotel and actually still half-functions as one, and that the rooms you're staying in are actually hotel rooms with four more bunks shoved in. If you're lucky you can even get the hotel beds and it's O JOY O BLISS A REAL BED, as well as a nice shower with shampoo and bath gel and all that.
Happened in: Nuremberg and Salzburg.

Degree no. 3:

When the hostel gives you THAT PACKAGE of clean linen and makes you fit out your own blankets/bed/pillow yourself. Is especially horrible if you're in the top bunk. I just took a 7 hour bus ride from Bratislava dude and it's 11 pm, my roomies are sleeping and I'm too polite to turn on the light and do it, I'm tired as eff anyway and gawd why do you make me do this!?!?!?!?
Happened in: More hostels than I care to remember but off the top of my head, Frankfurt, Dresden and Barcelona.


Degree no. 2:

There's only the top bunk left? NOOOOOO!!! I wanttt my bottom bunk!!
Happened in: Salzburg and Fussen (the first night anyway; I switched to the bottom one the second night).

Degree no. 1:

OMFG EACH BUNK GETS ITS OWN POWER SOCKET (in some cases even two and a night light of all things!!!) THEREFORE MY LIFE IS COMPLETE!!"
Happened in: Prague. I love that hostel.
(Its evil twin is "I'm the latest newcomer here and this six person bedroom has to share two power sockets between them which of course I don't have any beef in, so I'll just surreptitiously get up in the middle of the night and unplug one of them and recharge my phone. I need it more than you do, beech." Happened in: Fussen. )



No comments:

Post a Comment