carpediem

carpediem

Tuesday 14 October 2014

Vienna, part II - the Kirche am Steinhof



Masks. Masquerade. 

I flounder in escapism. I am tormented by a burgeoning sense of cultural identity displacement. I am neither here nor there, and tween angst in all its narcissistic, overdramatic, garish glory runs rampant in my mind and my words. We are all conformists, wired into the Matrix, saying what we were programmed to say, doing what we were programmed to do. The marionette whose strings cannot be cut, the ventriloquisted. Everything was so much simpler when we were younger, when we had less to lose.


That being said, I really need to update my travel journal, even if it's just pictures.

I visited the 'Kirche am Steinhof' on my last day, otherwise known as the Otto Wagner spiral. Bit of a steep climb up, or maybe that's just me too out of shape. Took the metro and then the bus; relatively straightforward journey. It was located on a hill behind a local hospital, and the directions were quite clear. As they always are!



Of course, just in case I get lost walking up..



The not-so-great weather persists. My first glimpse of the Spiral, hidden 'twixt those pines.



The Spiral. As I mentioned before, cloudy skies, and the fact that I was kind of underwhelmed. Place was completely devoid of people and I don't think it was open anyway. Walked around taking pictures from various angles before proceeding back down again. It began to rain before I left.









It reminded me of the Painted Monasteries of Sinaia in Romania - small-ish, compact, symmetrical. That being said, I yearn for Romanian food - Moldovian stew, Bulgarian salads and polenta. Though I suppose, technically speaking, the first two aren't real Romanian dishes. But they were prepared by Romanians, and I had them in Romania, so yeah, whatever.


No comments:

Post a Comment