carpediem

carpediem

Sunday 27 August 2017

Brno, part I - Old Town and St. Jacob's Church

Here's a surprisingly lovely photo from my phone


As soon as I walked into the hostel I knew that this wasn't going on my Hostel Walk of Fame. It was nice and big and spacey, but it was also dark and the lighting was bad. The only good thing about this hostel was the clean, airy, spacey bathroom and toilet, which I revelled in.

I didn't meet anyone interesting here, except a Czech boy in his early twenties who laughingly asked me, though in a nice if self deprecating manner - why I'd chosen to come to Brno. "Because I've been to Prague, and this is the second biggest city in CZ, and I wanted to see a city that wasn't Prague," I said. Fair enough, the boy said - I can't remember his name anymore but it was something fairly anglicised, Alex or Tommy or something. Let's go with Tommy. Tommy excitedly asked me if I'd been on the walking tours in Prague, and I said no. Oh, he said in disappointment. That's too bad. Why, I said. He then told me that he was a tour guide for those walking tours, and told me that I should join them next time and look him up. OK, I said. I asked him where he'd learnt his English as it was really good - with an American twang - and he said that he was actually half American, and that he'd spent half of his childhood growing up in California. HUH, I said, thinking to myself - the girls must have loved him, as he was incredibly handsome, though not my type. He told me a bit about drama in his life - apparently some girl had texted him, which surprised him - "She wanted me to go to a concert with her a few months ago but I ended up going with someone else which made her mad, and I haven't seen her since, but now she's texting me again." Young uns and their drama, I guess.

There was a Tesco in the Špalíček mall behind the hostel, where I went to get some food. It was located on a rather steep slope up, so even though it was only about 3 mins walk from the hostel, it was pretty tiresome. Still though, lots of vanilla milk and junk food and things like frozen sauerkraut and pierogi made surprisingly good meals, and I got the whole kitchen to myself.


St. Jacob's Church


Old Town square












No comments:

Post a Comment