carpediem

carpediem

Friday 18 August 2017

Lithuania, part II - Trakai (i), potato pancakes and Lithuanian goulash





A little page from my itinerary for arriving in Vilnius:

11:45 leave Riga (bus station) (Latvija) via eurolines (11.50 EUR, already paid), carrier UAB Tolimojo keleivinio transporto kompanija (Eurolines BC)
16:00 arrive in Vilnius (Vilnius).
Hostel: 5-10 mins away from bus station.
Starting by the bus station or train station, get the main street (Geležinkelio gatve) following the train lines on your right for about 3 blocks until Aušros Vartu gatve, the Hostel street already, turn left down the street, pass through the Gates of Dawn straight and in about 1 or 2 minutes you might find the Number 17 on the left and you are there.
Check in to Hostelgate, address
Hostelgate, Aušros Vartų gatvė 17, Vilnius 01304, Lithuania
#16 EUR total, but again I dunno if they’ll charge this as it seems to be a thing.



I arrived there late afternoon, after an incredibly enjoyable bus ride from Riga, and in my last entry, I wrote about my Vilnius hostel, which I really liked. I then texted Rosa to say that I'd arrived in Vilnius, and she said that she was in the city centre, at a coffee shop, writing postcards to her family - 'and laughing at all the jokes I wrote them,' she added. We agreed to meet up at the museum and have dinner together, and I got my first taste of amazing Lithuanian food. Oh, what an evening! We sat there as night fell over Vilnius, and gorged ourselves to our heart's content. Loads of potato pancakes and then wine flowing freely. We talked about anything and everything. It was one of those nights where the stars correctly and come together to a perfect evening.












The next morning we decided to meet again, to go to Trakai, a medieval village with an apparently magnificent castle. This was Rosa's recommendation - I hadn't planned anything beyond Vilnius, but I agreed, as it sounded interesting. We did lots of walking, and then we found a very nice restaurant and had More Potato Pancakes and the Best, I repeat the Best, goulash soup I have EVER had in my life. OK, some of the restaurants in Hungary served awesome goulash soup as well.









Oh my days, I need to return to this part of the world.





No comments:

Post a Comment