carpediem

carpediem

Saturday 19 August 2017

Lithuania, part IX - Vilnius wrapup and last dinner in Lithuania, and Vilnius by nighttime

Close to Hostelgate


Wrapup in Lithuania and Vilnius. There is a lot and yet little to say. Rosa came up to my hostel to pick me up for dinner, and we saw a nice Italian place at first, but then found that the prices were just too steep, and the two of us, slightly apologetically, hurried out of the restaurant at the first chance we got. We found a place where the prices were far more manageable, and we went there, and that was some of the best food I've ever had. Lithuania has now officially taken Hungary's place as being the country with the best food. Well, Russia is a close contender. It's so hard to choose between them, but seeing as I don't need a visa to enter Lithuania, I guess I'm going to go with Marko Ramius' home country.

Both me and Rosa were leaving the next day, although my bus was far earlier than hers - mine was due to leave at 6.30, whilst hers didn't leave till 10. We had a very nice dinner, and it was enjoyable but a little bittersweet, the way these travel friendships are. You get a sense that you might see each other again, but that there's just as much of a chance that you might not. I've grown used to this over the years - one thing I realised during this trip was how numb I'd become to everything and everyone - but it still didn't stop me from immensely enjoying that dinner and Rosa's company.

I went back, fully intending to wash and then turn in and call it a night. A guy was in my 8 person room, using his computer. We said hi to each other, and it was another of those serendipitous encounters where the stars align and you just hit it off. He introduced himself as Tommy, and we sat there and talked and talked, until two of his friends came in and said hi to me as well, and asked Tommy if he was going to come up to the common room for drinks and Monopoly. The guys said I was welcome to join, so I did, and what followed was another incredibly interesting night where the planets were all in their correct places. I live for those nights. I could tell that Tommy was quite into me, and I was rather taken by him as well. It turned out that he was my age, and he was from Australia, whilst his companions, also from Australia, were a few years younger, and it showed. Tommy seemed a little more world weary, but also patient, whilst the younger guys were a bit more - impulsive, I suppose. They really got into the Monopoly game, whilst I went through the motions, but didn't really care if I won or not. I helped them finish all of their booze, but they said they were leaving the next day as well - everyone's leaving the next day - so it didn't matter. The youngest guy, Liam, also seemed pretty interested in me, but I could tell that he knew that Tommy fancied me as well, and he deferred to Tommy, allowing Tommy to lead the conversation. They told me that they'd also met a girl from my country the day before, but it was clear that they didn't like her that much. Liam in particular was rather vocal about his dislike for her. Neither he nor Tommy could get over my accent. At one point I showed Tommy something on my phone, and he goggled at it - "I just can't get over the fact that your phone is all in Mandarin. To me, you're British through and through," he said.

Liam and the other guy ended up in a bit of a heated debate towards the end of the game. Me and Tommy went down to the kitchen to finish up the drinks. Tommy mocked me gently for using the kettle to disinfect my glasses, and I laughed back at him. We ended up not finishing the game, and the guys talked me into going into a night club down the road, which was kind of terrible and boring - but at least I can say I went to a Vilnius nightclub, I guess. The Lithuanian people there were pretty nice. Several of them came up to accost me, and Tommy fended some of them off, staying close to me.

It was pushing 5am, and I regretfully told the trio that I needed to go back and collect my stuff and go for the bus. They walked me back to the hostel, and I went into my room to collect my things. I bumped into Liam on the way out, and he said, putting his hand on my wrist, wait - are you just going to go like that? At least let us walk you out. At this point Tommy appeared, and Liam looked back at him, releasing my wrist, and said - "Come on. I know Tommy won't let you go without him seeing you off. Tommy, you won't let her go just like that, will you?" And he retreated, and Tommy came up to me, smiling ruefully. All three of us smiled a little, the words between us unsaid but in the air, and I was forcibly reminded - this time, of all times - of three years ago, in Wroclaw when we were all three years younger, of me and two other guys I'd met as well, and how our lives had been changed subtlely by each other.

I really, really miss this, and it makes me a little sad. If you asked me what I regret, I would say - just the fact that I didn't travel more, and start when I was younger. That's all. Yet need brooks no delay, but late is better than never.

Vilnius, wee hours of the early morning.

I might return. Dare I - dream?

Of course. I've always lived life on my own terms.




Pizza with Rosa


Oh, one last potato pancake! For this alone I will return












No comments:

Post a Comment