carpediem

carpediem

Sunday 1 July 2018

Continental #7 - Budapest

Fisherman's Bastion; the last time I came here was in 2014


At this point I've lost track of how many times I've visited Budapest. Sometimes travel has a tendency of blurring lines and memories. For me, this time was no different.

I spent a week in Budapest but one entry is all I have to show for it. I was very happy here, and I enjoyed my time there, and at the end nothing changed how I felt about Budapest. It has and always shall be, my Budapest. Budapest is one of those cities that you can't resist coming back to; not just because of wizzair, but because it's so beautiful. As my Budapest friend said, Budapest is different every month, and there are so many different shades of Budapest. The city's quite large and there's so much to discover and explore. What was different about this time's Budapest, to me? It was very Baroque, and straight lined, and there were a lot of roads, and kebab places. It was an easy city to walk in, but it was also very stuffy and a little hot, and I really do prefer Budapest in the winter months. In the spring and summer months it is dusty and can get extremely stuffy, and I don't like that too much. But, irregardless - it was Budapest before me and will be Budapest after me, and I don't think I have ever loved any European city as I loved Budapest, nor shall I ever love as I love Budapest. I found Budapest when I was younger and more impressionable. Maybe I would have liked Prague as well if I'd had the chance to come back again and again; but I doubt it. Budapest is so much larger, more sprawling, more baroque, more magnificent, and it's the stuff that dreams are made of.

Buda Palace



"Oh, he invaded Bosnia. I don't think I like this city after all."


The apartment we rented

St Stephen's Basilica

Cuba libre and I got a free shot here


Nepliget bus station, oh the tears and tantrums. This bus station is very new, when I was here before it was always the old, ratty, Communist version. Good going, Budapest













Nyugati train station. "There are loads more crazy people here than there are in Sarajevo."

"Sh sh sh, the way they talk is sh sh sh."













Outside of the first apartment we stayed at

Kebabs

He was obsessed over this poster


The apartment we stayed in



No comments:

Post a Comment