carpediem

carpediem

Saturday 28 July 2018

Toulouse, part I - Evangelina and Huguette

Capitole, Toulouse's main square


I've been here before, and written about Toulouse extensively in these entries. My style of writing was very different back then, as was my layout. I think I was a better writer in those days; I noticed things more and saw the details, and found the right words to express the emotions they evoked in me. Now I'm sort of going through the motions, as it were.

In Dublin airport, waiting for my aer lingus flight. Thank you for cancelling my flight and letting me know less than 30 hours before, Ryanair
A plane from America, land of the free


Last time I was here, I did all the touristy stuff and all the sightseeing; and this time, now that I'm a bit older and slightly more well off than I was as an impoverished student back in 2014, I decided (unconsciously) to do lots of fine dining. Well, and walking around the city, as always, but I spent most of my time eating at nice restaurants this time round.








Now, I am not a food blogger by any means or stretch of the imagination, but here's the food that I had. The first restaurant I went to was Evangelina, located about 10 minutes' walk from Compans Caffarelli metro station. After sampling Toulouse's finest, I have to conclude that this is probably the best restaurant in the city - it's not too expensive, the food comes in nice large portions, and most of all the quality of the food itself is unparallelled.


This was my favourite dish by far - red tuna






Shots
After that excellent meal, I went back to the hotel and had a nice refreshing sleep, and the next day woke up feeling pleased with myself. The first call of duty in the morning, as always, is coffee. I should probably start a separate coffee fund because I'm sure I've spent a mini fortune on coffee at this point.





It was Sunday afternoon, and for some reason most restaurants, including my favourite Evangelina, were closed. I ended up having to make do with Huguette, which was quite well located right off the Capitole square, but was hilariously expensive, and atop of that the food was not very good. All in all, a bit of a ripoff. 10/10 do not recommend.









It looks a lot better than it tasted, unfortunately

Baked egg and foie gras, which cost 8.50 and amounted to about a mouthful




No comments:

Post a Comment