carpediem

carpediem

Monday 16 July 2018

Istanbul, part VIII - Blue Mosque



The Sea of Marmara from my hostel

Rather irrelevant to Istanbul, but seeing as I also wrote extensively about the last World Cup during 2014, I think I'll include this here anyway. I watched France v Croatia yesterday night, and whilst my initial thoughts were that an England-France match would have been fun to watch (purely because of all the insults lobbed at each other over the English Channel), I have to concur that Croatia deserved their place in the finals this year, and that the match yesterday made for spectacular viewing. It was certainly a lot better than the finals of 2014, in which the only interesting part was the penalty shootout which Lionel Messi flubbed quite badly. Yesterday was magnificent. Mario Mandzukic, apart from looking a lot like the Weasley twins, was fantastic, and has gone down in history, I believe, as the only World Cup finalist who has scored for both teams.

Mario Mandzukic's best 'I can't believe I just scored for France' face

Anyway, Blue Mosque, which was lovely, and also getting quite chilly at this stage, but that is the name of the game, so I walked around, took pictures and enjoyed the lovely architecture.











A nice view of the Marmara from my hostel








The Hagia Sofya from the Blue Mosque


Muslin contributions that changed the world




No comments:

Post a Comment