carpediem

carpediem

Sunday 15 July 2018

Istanbul, part VI - Hagia Sophia (v)

“There are years that ask questions and years that answer.” - Zora Neale Hurston


Last entry on the Hagia Sophia. There is not much I can say about it, at the moment at least - save that it was damaged and yet still beautiful, and that it spoke to my heart, but not as much as I expected it to. During my time in there I was repeatedly reminded of the Cathedral of St. Peter in Rome, that pristine, majestic, domed wonder that soars above the cityline of the Eternal City in the heart of the western Roman Empire. Hagia Sophia was too damaged for me to like it very much; there had been too much death and destruction within its walls and that was something you could see on its peeling, dilapidated walls, the scorched mosaics, the fading murals of the apostles and most of all, the calligraphy of the Koran imposed upon the Orthodox pillars and domes. St. Peter's inspired awe in me and opened up to the heavens. Hagia Sophia was a shadow.





























No comments:

Post a Comment