carpediem

carpediem

Monday 17 July 2017

Helsinki, part V - Helsinki West Terminal and Katajanokka/Olympiaterminalen, revisited



I got up early the next morning, collected my few belongings, and ran up to the sun deck to watch the ship re-enter the docking bay of the West Terminal. I was incredibly pleased to be on my way again, on my own way. I don't know how people manage to stomach travel groups. It just detracts from the entire travel experience.

I darted off the ship and went through customs, chatted a bit to the hunky blonde Finnish customs officer as you do and had a great conversation with him - I always do. "How was St. Petersburg?" he asks, with a smile. I look at him - he is probably in his early to middle thirties - a handsome, Balticly rugged man with the icy blue Finn eyes I have gotten so used to gazing into. I say that SPB was nice and he asks me where I'm going next, and I say, Tallinn. Will you not tarry longer here, he says. I was here three days ago, I answer. He asks me if that's all the luggage I have, which I affirm. He goggles at me, says he's very impressed, which I bet he is, and wishes me safe travels. I smile and thank him, and take my leave of him.

I walked out of the port, and down Tyynenmerenkatu, past Mechelininkatu, and somehow found myself on Bulevardi. I have a fairly good sense of direction - I would have to have one to navigate all these countries on my own, and without a compass - and knew that I was going in the right direction, up north, so any road going that way would do. Bulevardi, as it turned out, was a lovely road to walk down, and I sauntered along without a care in the world. It was about 14 degrees, I was listening to Duele el Corazon, the sky was the colour of periwinkles and there were plenty of trees lining the roads, providing leafy green shade from the mild Baltic sun. I hadn't had my morning coffee yet, so I stopped at a supermarket express and got two Starbucks, and sipped along happily. The cashier smiled at me - he was probably from the local university - and I walked out of the mart, thinking that this stereotype of cold Finns was somewhat unfounded.

Off I go. I arrived at Katajanokka, and had a bit of time left, so had a careful look at all the vendors. I wondered how much I wanted cream of sea soup and chips, and decided maybe next time, although it was fun to see other people enjoying them. The food really did look very good, but 13 euros - nah.




















No comments:

Post a Comment