carpediem

carpediem

Monday 3 July 2017

St. Petersburg, part II - St. Peter's Line in the Gulf of Finland



I know it's been ages since I updated continental #5. There's really no excuse for that, unless real life commitments and jobs and travelling in other countries are valid justifications. Which they actually are, haha.
I am on the Princess Maria, on the easternmost side of the Baltic Sea, and the ship is sailing smoothly into the port of St. Petersburg. I am standing on the top deck and watching the rugged coastline of the port pass us by, St. Petersburg is not as cold as I thought it would be - it's colder than Stockholm and a little colder than Helsinki - but not chilly as I imagined. The skies are a stark but clear grey, and it is eight ish in the morning. I cup the black coffee I bought from the lower decks, and concentrate on sipping it without my hair getting in the way, because when you have waist length hair it gets into everything, and I do mean everything.

I laugh, and I say.. well.. life is a maze.

The port of St Petersburg is slightly dilapidated yet majestic. Everything here is just big, even from the lofty heights of the liner. I breathe in the Russian air, and close my eyes, and allow myself to bask in the moment that I am in fact in St Petersburg, a city I've always wanted to visit ever since I was a very young child. St Petersburg, Petrograd of old. I turn ever so slightly and gaze upon the Gulf of Finland, then I cast my eyes back to St Petersburg and look upon European Russia and wonder what I will make of this city and what it will make of me.

More to come.











No comments:

Post a Comment