carpediem

carpediem

Tuesday 4 July 2017

St. Petersburg, part III - St Isaac's cathedral



I didn't mention something extremely important, but when I was queuing to go through customs at St Petersburg, a lovely elderly couple from the States told me that they thought I had lovely hair. I turned around and smiled, and thanked them, and we started talking, and it was a very nice encounter. The wife in particular was very sweet, and very motherly. They were extremely impressed with how I carried myself, and my English. I know I've been told this innumerable times, but it's still nice to hear. I had to take my leave of them once we'd arrived at the right side of customs, but they left me their email, and I'm happy to say that we have corresponded once or twice since.

So there is that.

St Isaac's cathedral - isaakievsy sobor.

St Petersburg was blustery and grey and very Russian and I was in love; with the city, the wide streets, the pastel buildings, the Neva river and the men and the women and the Orthodox cathedrals.

How do you measure things when so much of life cannot be measured, or quantified, or limited to a few adjectives?

To be continued.























No comments:

Post a Comment