carpediem

carpediem

Saturday 15 July 2017

St. Petersburg, part XXXI - Open market, tax-free souvenir shop, more St. Isaac's cathedral and St. Petersburg port


Plov, a popular Uzbekh dish


This was our last meal in St. Petersburg. We went to a largely Muslim open market, where there were a lot of Uzbekh restaurants. St. Petersburg, and by extension Russia, is home to a sizeable Muslim community mostly from the 'stans', which used to be satellite states in the Soviet era.




I'm not a huge fan of kebabs but the mutton samsa was great, and of course anything and everything tastes good when you're ravenous. Then there was plov, which I had a lot of in the ME - it seems to be a staple dish for Semitic people.



After that we went to the tax free shop, and I got myself some furry black Soviet caps a la Marko Ramius, and we sat around the souvenir shop and had a nice chat with the shop girl, who offered us lots of free vodka and cinnamon, much to my pleasure.









A quick look at St. Isaac's cathedral, and then off to the port.









Dasvidanya for now, my beloved St. Petersburg. You are never lost for too long.

Gulf of Finland




No comments:

Post a Comment