carpediem

carpediem

Tuesday 18 July 2017

Viking Line and Reisisidam A Terminal, HEL-TAL

A sneak peek of the boring beauty to come


I'd arrived in Helsinki at about 8:30 am, and the ferry, operated by Viking Line, wasn't due to leave until 11:30, which I thought was a very reasonable transfer window. The Viking Line was a very comfortable, midway-luxury ship, far posher than the PR Maria though somewhat a notch down from Silja. I walked around, looked carefully at all the restaurants, decided that I didn't feel like forking out for them after all, and then went to the tax free shop and got myself a tube of white chocolate pastilles which I happily munched upon. For some reason I was also tuckered out, so I found a nice secluded sofa to myself, put my backpack down on the farther end of the sofa and napped till the ship reached Estonia.

Hello, Tallinn, and hello Estonia. This was the Reisisidam A Terminal.

I am going to quote what I wrote in my travel diary itinerary:

From seaport - 14 mins by foot. Walk toward the concert hall - 'Linnahall'. From there, go in the direction of the Old Town. Cross the tram tracks and enter the Old Town through the Pikk Gate (right next to Fat Margaret).
Once past the gate, take the first right you come across. Pass the church and turn left. You are now on Lai Street. Alur hostel is located just 150 m down Lai from where you are now, on the left-hand side. 27 EUR – not sure if they’ll decide to charge me when they feel like it because apparently that is a thing.

(Yes, I feel the incorrigible need to be sassy even in my own travel journal.)


Fat Margaret

Gangway



Manoeuvering into Tallinn port

Tax free shops on the ship




A playroom aboard yon ship



Another Viking Line

Goodbye, Helsingfors!







Watching Helsinki fade away into the horizon



No comments:

Post a Comment