carpediem

carpediem

Wednesday 12 July 2017

St. Petersburg, part XVIII - The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood - Церковь Спаса на Крови (ii)



I'm winding down now because this is what I need to do to maintain some semblance of sanity. All in all I reckon I'm a very well-adjusted individual, but do not intrude on my alone time, especially when I signpost my solitude by, uhm, wearing headphones?! A dude on Reddit had it right when he said, 'People want to share what they have to say with anyone who'll listen. I get that. Hell, I've been there myself. But not on public transport and sure as hell not when I've been through a busy day and want to ride in relative musical silence.'

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood, which was very beautiful, and also jam packed with goggling, camera touting tourists. I had to perform the usual duck-and-weave to avoid being poked by all the selfie sticks. Ksenia had told us that it was a sign of respect to cover one's head when entering Russian Orthodox churches. Strangely enough, this rule only applies to women (I mean this facetiously), but I digress. Anyway, none of that head-covering here because it was such an obviously blatant tourisn hotspot, I guess. It reminded me a little of the Painted Monasteries of Sinaia (Romania), except a larger, far larger version.









I really miss Romania.

I really, really miss Romania.

I miss watching the World Cup in Brasov. I miss chatting to the people in the hostel in Sibiu. I don't miss the bad bases, but I do miss the deep, green, proud mountains.

More to come on the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood, and also more to come on Romania, in the not so distant future.








The apostles Peter and Paul, who are highly distinguishable


No comments:

Post a Comment