carpediem

carpediem

Saturday 23 June 2018

Croatia, part VIII - Split (ii): the harbour, and Restaurant FIFE Split



I tarried in Split a little longer than I do most cities, and indeed most of the people staying at the hostel, so I was able to make a day trip to Omis (more on that in future entries), and find out which were my favourite restaurants in Split.

The answer to 'which were my favourite restaurants in Split', actually just the one, this one.

Free crepes



Split itself is not very big, especially if you stay in the inner city of the Old Town, which used to be the entire site of Diocletian's Palace, and is currently the world's most complete remains of a Roman palace, although most of the palace was in ruins, so at first glance it didn't really look like a palace - more like a rather vast courtyard/garrison. Diocletian's Palace is remarkable in that is also houses Diocletian's mausoleum, although I'll get to that in future entries as well. Suffice it to say - this town is definitely a must-see for history buffs, especially people enthusiastic about Roman history. I was once that history buff.

One thing I kept thinking as I travelled in Croatia was that this country, this former Yugoslav, Balkan nation was the true inheritor of the Roman heritage. Italy, in my opinion, had been transformed too much; by the Renaissance, the medieval feudal system, the religion wars, the Vatican, everything. It's glorious Roman chapter was only one thread in a vast and varied canopy. No, if the intrepid traveller desires to see the Roman empire as it once was, to feel and smell the air that the legionnaires smelled, to walk upon the karst pavements that the emperors once walked and to patrol the coast as the praetor once paced - then Croatia would fulfill all their wildest dreams, and more.























The karst mountains were dappled a very pretty pink by the sinking evening sun





No comments:

Post a Comment