carpediem

carpediem

Saturday 30 June 2018

Bosnia i Herzegovina, part III - Sarajevo (i): Baščaršija and Latin Bridge - and cevapi


The famous Latin Bridge


I had an interesting time in Sarajevo, is probably a bit of an understatement. It was a little bit too interesting. And also a bit too personal, so I'll just stick to the travel-y stuff here.

I arrived at Sarajevo at about 9ish in the morning, which made sense because the bus had left Mostar at 7. After that extremely enjoyable bus ride, I got off at Sarajevo AS, and was immediately blasted by the coldest gust of wind and snow I had encountered in my entire trip. I hurriedly found shelter in the AS and dug out all the clothes that I had and put them on, and proceeded to the hostel. Google Maps said that the hostel was about 45 mins walk from the AS, but it was a relatively straightforward walk along the Miljacka River, which was a bit underwhelming. My Bosnian friend went so far as to call it a sewer - hey, he said it, not me, and he's from Sarajevo, so it really is on him. Anyway, halfway on my way there I decided that it wasn't fun walking in a snowstorm, so I popped into a nearby shopping centre, got some marks, bought some coffee and a tram ticket, then hopped on the next tram and sailed into the old town, and then sailed into the hostel. I checked in and dumped my stuff in my room, chatted to the very pleasant receptionist, took some more aspirin although at this point my ankle was almost completely healed, then sailed out of the hostel again.

The hostel


On a completely unrelated note, Argentina was just kicked out of the running for the World Cup by France at the knockout stage, 3-4, despite a relatively early lead. Wow.

At this point I think I'll be able to complete all of continental #6 by time the weekend is over, which makes me very happy. It's been long overdue, and then I can start on continental #7. Well, calling it continental #6 would be a bit of a misnomer. continental #7 was a bit of a sequel to the events that happened in Sarajevo, and, er.. well let's just say that Bosnia has a slightly different place in my heart in comparison to all the other countries/cities I've been to.

The Baščaršija


Miljacka river

Inside the cevapi restaurant


Yummy cevapi. And now I want some


The Baščaršija




On the way from the AS to the hostel




Baščaršija 




The memorial plaque for the slain Franz Ferdinand









Miljacka river. I suppose he has a point, it does look like a sewer





No comments:

Post a Comment