carpediem

carpediem

Sunday 24 June 2018

Croatia, part XI- Omiš (i)


Omiš fish. As you can tell from the picture I was too hungry to wait to take pictures, hench the fish and the rice with missing chunks.

My decision to visit Omiš was pretty spontaneous - I'd met some guy in the hostel during one of the nights, who had gone there on a day trip, and he couldn't stop raving about it, said that it was the most beautiful place he'd ever been to in Croatia. Well, Omiš was lovely, but - and sorry if I offend anyone but I'm just telling it like it is - it most certainly is not the most beautiful place in Croatia. By far. That's a ridiculous statement to make. Croatia is stuffed to the brim with some of the most beautiful landscapes in Europe, and Omiš doesn't really come anywhere near the top three. If you asked me what my top three cities were (out of the ones I've visited so far), I would say Split, and Zadar, and the karst region close to Vinjerac, although I didn't actually visit that place properly, just passed by on my bus journey from Zagreb to Zadar. Dubrovnik comes later - it was certainly beautiful, but not too different to any other Croatian old town. But, oh, Croatia! My heart longs for you.

There were fairly frequent buses departing from the bus station, and it wasn't too hard to buy a ticket at the autobuska stanica and get on the bus. The driver was very nice, well they usually are, to me at least.

The bus I took, along with my bus ticket

I must have had too much coffee for breakfast because I quite needed the loo, and the first thing I did when I got off at Omiš was to head to the (thankfully free) loo in the autobuska stanica. After that I walked into the old town, which was an easy, 5 min walk.
As I do, I walked around a bit - there were a lot of quarry trucks though, presumably for the limestone - and they quite spoilt the experience of walking around. There were virtually no other tourists, let alone Asian ones, but that's good; I like it that way. I found a restaurant in the Old Town and had some food, which was quite nice.





Restaurant interiors



Click to magnify. No, really.



















No comments:

Post a Comment