carpediem

carpediem

Tuesday 12 June 2018

Croatia, part I - Zagreb (i): Chillout Hostel and Gornji Grad



It's on days like this that I think that everything is right and the world is wonderful.

Zagreb was a reasonable enough flixbus ride from Ljubljana. I was pretty excited for Zagreb because I'd wanted to come to Croatia for years, and this would be my very first time venturing into Hrvatska. I'd wanted to come here before Game of Thrones too, I should add - just so that I'm not lumped into the hype bandwagon.

Flixbus to Zagreb was full, and I was sat next to an English girl who was watching The Office on her iphone. I think she made a casual remark about immigration control whilst we were waiting at the passport office on the border, and we ended up spending the rest of the bus journey talking whilst eating her Pringles. She told me about her girlfriend and about her life, and I wish i remembered more about her but I don't. Funnily enough she gave me her number and we made plans to meet up again in Zagreb (we were staying in different hostels though) but never did. Ah for footnote friends.

When I got off the bus Zagreb was overcast and cloudy, and the hostel according to google maps was a 40 minute walk from the autobuska stanica. I live for this kind of weather of course. It also ended up being more than an hour's walk for me because I kept stopping to look at buildings and take photos, then I saw the mall in the gornji grad and dropped in to check out the supermarket and to make sure that there was a currency exchange there (Croatia, though a member state of the EU, is still using its own currency, the Croat kuna). It was Sunday, so most currency exchanges were closed, but the ones in the department stores - usually on B1 - are generally open.













I finally found the hostel after loads of circling and being outside, by which time I was starting to get extremely cold, so was relieved to be indoors again. The hostel was just as nice as it looked on booking dot com which was also a relief because sometimes the photos are hilariously misleading. I accidentally spent hours talking to my roommates and we ended up hanging out together a lot, as you do.










The incredibly delicious and cheap dinner at a restaurant called Plac



And it's pictures galore.
















No comments:

Post a Comment