carpediem

carpediem

Tuesday 26 June 2018

Croatia, part XV- Dubrovnik (ii)






I didn't spend the night in Dubrovnik because the prices were nothing short of ridiculous. I thought that 27 euros a night for a bunk bed in a hostel shared room was way beyond anything I was willing to pay, and these were November prices. I just checked booking.com again and apparently the prices have been jacked up to 40 euro per night now. In a 10-bed dorm. In Croatia. Granted, the hostel has a rating of 9.0 (I make it a rule never to stay in a hostel with a rating below 8.5 unless I absolutely have to, and even so I won't go lower than 8.1), but still, 40 euro. That's more expensive than Dublin or Amsterdam.


I digress slightly, in any case I opted to cross the border (now that's a phrase loaded with connotations, especially in 2018) and stay in Kotor, Montenegro instead, since it cost 5 euro a night to stay at a very nice-looking hostel with a 9.7 rating. It really was a lovely hostel, but I'll write more about that when I get there. In any case, it was just a far more economic and pleasant option to stay in Kotor than it was in Dubrovnik, but I still got to spend an afternoon there, so I got the best of both worlds, so to speak.

(Note: I just checked the Kotor hostel I stayed at in November and sheesh, they're 19 euros now, 4 times what I paid last winter, so I suppose the prices really have been jacked up now that it's holiday season.)

I didn't pay to go up onto the city walls, because the weather was erratic and in my opinion, not good enough to warrant the rather steep entry ticket (20 euros, which really is exorbitant, especially for that region - these are London prices). Walking around was good enough for me, since it really was very picturesque. All the same - not entirely sure I'll want to come back.







































No comments:

Post a Comment