carpediem

carpediem

Monday 4 June 2018

Italy, part XVIII - Rome (viii): Wrapup - Roman Forum, Colloseo, Termini and Freccia Bianca



Sipping tea here and typing. Just polished off the other half of the Dominoes pizza I ordered last night. I do feel guilty about that - all the excessive food, I mean.

After the Vatican, I went over to the Roman Forum to use up the third part of my ticket, and slipped into the Roman Forum about an hour before its closing time. It was an interesting place - I know some people refer to Rome as a city with 'loads of broken bits', but to me, it was fascinating, seeing the remains of people who had lived and died here thousands of years ago. It had finally stopped raining, but the weather was still blustery, which was still vastly preferable to boiling heat.


The Collosseum from the other side












Next morning. I had an early morning train to Florence, aboard the Freccia Bianca, one of Italy's high speed trains, and I walked around the Termini whilst waiting for my train. High speed trains are the only means of transport that actually run on time here. I was honestly flabbergasted by the incredible lack of punctuality (and that is a massive understatement) of the buses here.

My favourite kind of train ride: when the day is still dark











We will meet again.



No comments:

Post a Comment