carpediem

carpediem

Saturday 30 June 2018

Bosnia i Herzegovina, part I - Mostar (i): The Old Town bazaar and Stari Most

The famous Stari Most


I didn't get very many pictures of Bosnia and Herzegovina because the weather I got was shockingly bad. In Mostar it poured with rain and was freezing, whilst in Sarajevo it snowed and was also freezing. I've never been in a country where it was so cold that I had to keep my hood on at all times, or risk hypothermia.

One of our bus breaks




Mostar is in the Herzegovina region of BiH, and it was a pleasant 4 hour bus ride from Kotor. When I got there it was pouring with rain, and the main road of Mostar was under construction, so I had to splash through muddy roadworks for about half an hour before I found my hostel, which was pretty secluded. Not very fun being soaked to the skin whilst looking on the map to see if you're going in the right direction, but I've been through worse. Been through better, though.

My first glimpse of Mostar


I was told by a Bosnian 'friend' of mine that Mostar usually has 360 days of ultra sunny weather and 5 days of rain, and that I'd gotten tremendously unlucky with the weather. Thanks for close captioning my pain.




When I got there I chatted to the very pleasant hostel owner, who told me about the war and recommended some good restaurants in town, and after that I went out to explore. It had briefly stopped raining when I went out, but it started pelting with rain not too long after I arrived in the Old Town, and after I'd walked around the bazaars I was obliged to find shelter, and decided to go to one of the restaurants that the hostel owner had recommended. I must have been a sorry sight when I entered, and it was a bit embarrassing for me - I had to dry my hair with the table napkins and ask for some more, but the waiters (who looked pretty young, certainly younger than me) didn't seem too fazed. Still, though, I wished I'd been able to patronise their establishment under more dignified circumstances.

Anyway, I apologise for the bad pictures but it was virtually impossible to get good ones with this sort of weather.








This was a department store in the old town that was a little creepy

Taiwanese tourists








No comments:

Post a Comment