carpediem

carpediem

Tuesday 5 June 2018

Italy, part XXI - Florence (iii): Duomo di Firenze, Santa Croce, Piazza della Signoria, Ponte Vecchio and Palazzo Vecchio

Ponte Vecchio


I didn't get very good weather during my first Florentine day, as you can see from some of my photos here. It's not a bad thing - I did get splendid weather the next day - and you get to see the city in as many contexts as you can. Budapest comes to mind; I've seen her in April, September and November now, in rain and summer and heat and cold.




















The second (fake) David, in Piazza della Signoria



Florence hurt my feet, with all of its overly cobbled streets and narrow paths. There were far too many tourists for my liking - Rome was swamped by tourists as well, but it was a lot more annoying in Florence because Florence was just so much more compact. In Rome a tour group would probably take up half the road, whereas in Florence they'd all be packed in one tiny alley, and you'd either have to find an alternate route or shoulder your way through them angrily.

The dining area in the restaurant












Florentine pizzas

And Florentine gelatos

The Italians really are stupendously well dressed

Italian gnocchis



Cheap cream liquor...


The hostel kitchen


My hostel, Plus Florence, was about 20 minutes by foot to the city centre and a relatively straight walk, although by the end of my Florentine stay (I was there for three days) I had begun to tire of it and Florence. Florence is not that large and once you've seen it all, you've seen it all. There was a nice coffee shop where I stopped to drink some coffee (named, ostensibly, the Caffeteria), and I skyped my family for a bit whilst having an espresso there (1.50 euro). What else? I miss this, I miss Europe in the winter, and I miss being on the road.









No comments:

Post a Comment